Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
book recommendations - winter reading >

book recommendations - winter reading

book recommendations - winter reading

Old 12-30-2010, 03:44 PM

I love to read and being retired, used the library for my reading material. I gave myself a Kindle for Christmas and having been reading lots of the free downloads. Lots of Christian type books. Don't have to worry the weather being bad and not getting to the library, love it.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltamomma
The Walk by Richard Paul Evans. Saving Cee Cee Hunicutt is a good read. I have read all of Nicholas Sparks
another vote for Ceci Hunnicut !! some of the scenes are just hilarious. little girl who goes South to live with an Aunt. and from then on, it is Southern living all the way.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 PM

The invisable wall by Harry Bernstein and Dreams and golden Willow also by him True stories and will touch your heart.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:42 PM

I assume you are a cat lover by your profile picture....I highly recommend reading Vicki Myron's "Dewey, the Small-Town Library Cat", and her followup book, "Dewey's Nine Lives". I love reading a chapter before I close my eyes for the night. My one cat waits patiently on the nightstand as I do, then crawls up in the crook of my arm and falls asleep with me.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 PM

I just finished Susan Fraser King's LADY MACBETH. Some of all-time favorites that I reread now and then include Mary Stewart's Crystal Cave series, anything by Sherri Tepper (the kind of SF that makes you THINK), C.J.Cherryh's FOREIGNER series, Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books when I feel the need to laugh out loud.

I am following this thread with interest -- always on the lookout for a new author!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
Originally Posted by Marlys
Most of Nicholas Sparks are good. One of my favorite authors is Clive Cussler. My son is reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest & recommends all 3 of those books - they are next on my list. If you like history, I also recommend books by Jeff Shaara.
The Stieg Larrsson books are awesome but a much different genre than most being recommended here .
I guess it depends on what you like to read. I avoid standard romance /relationship books but I did buy "Heartbroke Bay" yesterday for Kindle after the USATODAY write up.
I loved that series from Stieg, also had the chance to see all three films (hope the american version holds true to the intensity of the story), I was so sad to have it end and to know he passed away. any recommendations for non-romance genre?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series
Kinda defies genre -- best described as a time travel historical romance but the whole is more than the sum of those parts.
i loved her series, have to say though, the last book was very disappointing.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM

a couple of great authors I love are Nancy Turner, "these is my words" is an amazing read and one of my all time favorites. also, Sandra Dallas is a good author as well. Neither are too heavy but not romance novels either.

My favorite is historical fiction.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:28 PM

The Earth Children Series by Jane Auel is wonderful. I have read the books twice and listed to the cds twice! I am listening to them again, because her new book will be out the end of March.
Other great books: The Book Thief, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Sarah's Key, Sacajawea (the long one that was published in the early 80s) Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg, Firefly Lane, Philippa Gregory's always forget) Meridon Trilogy.. Meridon, Favored Child, Wide Acre, Murdoc the Greatest Elephant by Ralph Helfer, Zamba by Ralph Helfer, The Marlboro Cowboy (these three are true stories), Cold Rock River, one of the best and creative books I have read is Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn, Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas (so good),The Girl Who Chased he Moon by Sara Addison, Peace Like A River by Leif Enger (another of my favorites), Sme Kind of Different by Ron Hall (true inspirational story), Henry's Sisters by Cathy Lamb, The First Ladies Detective Series by Andrew McCall Smith, Doggone It, Thereby Hangs a Tail, Alex and Me by Irene Pepperberg, Dewey the Library Cat, Wealey the Owl, Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards, The Help, Saving CeeC ee Honeycutt, A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolf, Very Valentine by Adrianna Trigianni (there are 3 or 4 books in the series) Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky, A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford (there are 4 or 5 books in the series, try to read in order). As you can tell, I love reading. These are a few of my favorites that I can remember right now. Elizabeth
Old 12-30-2010, 07:32 PM

I love Lauraine Snelling " An Untamed Land" is the first book....Its a historical inspirational book. Jane Kirkpatrick is other one of my favorite" Altogether in one place"
I love historical inspirational books. Right now I am reading Jane Kirkpatricks"A clearing in the wild, A tendering in the storm and A mending at the edge" Its amazing what these men and women had to endure going out west. They did a lot of quilting to from worn out cloth.