Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you build your stash? >

How do you build your stash?

How do you build your stash?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:24 PM

I go to LQS for block of the month so it seems I always have to buy something while I am there. I also buy online, shop hops and quilt and sewing shows I always buy new fabric, patterns and tools. I guess I am always looking. tehetehe :lol:
Old 12-30-2010, 07:26 PM
kbs

I try to catch fabrics on sales, many I don't have a project for at the time but now I could do a quilt without shopping.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 PM

I mainly buy fat quarters cause I have found I like lots of different fabrics in my quilts & you need so little if you use lots of different ones. I also buy half yds, or bigger, if on sale, or good priced, to use along with them. I used to sew alot of my clothes, mostly tops, so had alot of stash from that when I started, & still do. Buy what you like, or appeals to you, or, if it's different, what looks good together. Then you will have more that goes with it in your stash, & you will enjoy working with it more. It's alot more fun & interesting, if you are working with prints/fabrics that appeal to you at the same time!... Just keep buying a little here & there, as you can afford it, & it will start adding up (multiplying) before you know it!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 PM

sounds like me,its important to have to have good tools to work with.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 PM

Jeanne,
What's a "JUNK MALL"?????
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 PM

Friends shared mainly. WHen I bought I bought a yard extra.
Bought LOTS of fat quarters. Now I buy backgrounds by the
bolt. with coupons, having that handy rather than driving to the big city when I need something, saves $$$$.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM

I really built my stash when a quilt shop a few towns over went out of business..could not resist $2.75 a yard for material. I will buy things I like when they are on sale. I have been really working on buying blenders because I have lots of fabric with patterns. I will probably not really need to buy any more material for several years! With the price of fabric going up, I may have to do what my great-grandmother did and cut up old clothes to make quilts with...good thing I love scrappy quilts!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 PM

It's hard for me to remember when I really started building my stash. The last few years before I moved to Nashville, I was living near two LQS, two Joanns, and one Hancocks. I never bought much fabric from Hancocks but bought alot from Joanns. Usually, I would wait for the 50% off red tag clearance. I would go in without projects in mind and just snap up yardage on quilt fabrics that I liked. I like scrappy traditional quilts so anything was useful. The LQS fabrics I would wait until sales or use discount cards (I belonged to BOMs so money was always being applied to the cards). I would go to the Fancy Gap Pottery in Hillsville and buy fabric. Over time, I acquired quite alot of stuff and the quality is from the best to okay. If I like it, the thread count doesn't matter as much to me. I'm not producing heirlooms as I don't have many familly members who care about homemade gifts. I have tried in the last three years to buy fabrics that have less saturated (aka bright) color...what might be called blenders. I use muslin and solid black alot in my quilts but I started to buy other fabrics to expand myself. Still have to force myself to buy yellows and tans as I find yellow too painfully overpowering and tan/brown just depresses me.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 PM
e4

What "stash". I keep trying to tell people I am a FABRIC COLLECTOR and I have to constantly build and improve my FABRIC COLLECTION.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 PM

One of the ways I build my stash is to buy extra fabric when purchasing for a particular project. I'll round up to the nearest yard and then stash the leftovers after cutting.