Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
book recommendations - winter reading >

book recommendations - winter reading

book recommendations - winter reading

Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by elizabeth
Oh my goodness! How could I have forgotten the Mitford Series! I also like the series by can't remember his name. I know you know what I am talking about...the veterinarian, I think one of them is "Everything Big and Small". Each title is from the prayer that ends with "and God made them all"
I have read those and listened to them twice, so you think I'd remember something!. (All Things Bright and Beautiful?) This is driviing me nuts.

Elizbeth
James Herriot wrote those wonderful books.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:10 PM

I ditto that
Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 PM

Ok I have not seen mentioned one that for my book club just read called "The Birth House" by Ami McKay (think that is right). It was a good read. I can't seem to get into the one for the book club discussion on the 12th "Pirates Lattitude" by Michael Creighton. If I would stay out of the sewing room I would do better with my reading. Need to get a Kindle and/or books on CD. I have a doz new book suggestions now--better--keep 'em coming.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:24 PM

I'm just finishing Playing the Game by Barbara Taylor Bradford, also any of Dorothea Benton Franks books, Sally Goldenbaum's A Seaside Knitters Mystery, I just bought A Holiday Yarn by her.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:41 PM

I have to say that my very favorites are Diana Gabaldon - love time travel and you can't get any better than Claire and Jamie - the Elm Creek Quilt series and there is another quilt series where the lead character works at a museum somewhere out west - I love Eric Flint's 1632 series - another time travel/alternative history - starts out with a 10 mile sq patch of WV being sent back in time to the 30 years wars in Germany - 20th Century vs. 1632 - very interesting - if interested go to www.Baen.com/library - the site has a bunch of their books free to download - one of my all time favorite series is a very old one - the Williamsburg Novels by Elswyth Thane - they were published during the 40's and 50's following one family from the Revolution to WWII - http://historical-fiction-review.blo...s-elswyth.html - This site gives a good overview about the books and they can be found online at alibris.com for very good prices
Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 PM

Since I retired in '96, I have kept a list of every book and author I have read. I make a notation if they are really good. Here are some I really enjoyed. All the 'Cat who...' books-L.J. Braun; Harry Potter series; Seasons of her life-Fern Michaels; Ride the Wind-L. St. Clair Robson; Sarum-E. Rutherford (history of England); any of the books by Nevada Barr;Any of the books by Gene Stratton Porter; Anne of Green Gables series; Philip Pullman series-(Ruby in the Smoke, Shadow in the North, Tiger in the well)and also his Golden Compass series; The Secret Life of Bees-S. M Kidd; Twilight series; Chiefs-Stuart Woods; Chesapeake-J. A. Michener; Any of the series by Charlaine Harris; The Memory Keeper's Daughter-K. Edwards. This should keep you busy! :-)
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 PM

Frannie, get a Kindle! I didn't think I could ever get rid of my hardbacks and paperbooks. I was running out of room, so decided to try a Kindle. I am glad I did. I read a lot and having books with me at all times is a delight. I even like it when there is a long line, so I can read while I wait! I now have two kindles. Nothing was wrong with my first one, but the new one is smaller, same screen size, and you can get a cover that has a built in book light. It charges when you charge your kindle. I also wanted it because I wanted a smaller purse. I still buy books, but not as many. Some books I will read on Kindle and I like it so much, I go by the actual book.
Elizabeth
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 PM

My favortie authors are John Grisham, Mitch Albom, Nicholas
Sparks, Danielle Steele. The last few books I have read that I would highly recommend:
The Shack by William Young, this is fiction but very thought provoking;

Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom, a true story that will touch your heart and your soul:

Eat, Pray, and Love, I can't remember the authors name, I am reading it right now and have enjoyed it, it is different from what I expected. The author gives you a lot of historical background and insight into our emotions. I haven't seen the movie but I don't think it could have the impact that the book has.

Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore, This is a true story of the interaction of a homeless black man and an affluent couple in Dallas, heartwarming.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 PM

I'm up to date on all the Jennifer Chiaverini books. The next one will be out soon. Yeah! Marie Bostwick has a great quilting series going also... A Single Thread, A Thread of Truth, and A Thread So Thin. The Help has been mentioned by several other members. It's so great! Movie coming out next summer. I picked up some older books at the library book sale a while back and got some good ones... The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (Awesome!) Object Lessons by Anna Quindlen, The Beach House by Jane Green, The Alchemist by I Forgot Who But It Was Really Good LOL The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls will make you feel normal no matter how dysfunctional you think you are.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I read a lot of books in the winter since I go to bed earlier - warm cozy bed....any good book recommendations
I just finished Suzanne's diary for Nicholas - I highly recommend this one.
I didn't know that there were so many avid readers out there. I just finished The Guardian and the The Rescuer by Nicholas sparks. I have also read all of the Jennifer Chiverinni books. I like Beverly Lewis, Cindy Woodsmall and Wanda Brunsetter who all write about the Amish. Terri Blackstock is another favorite. Karen Kingsbury, Tracie Peterson, B. J. Hoff, Laura Snelling, Lori Wick, Debbie McCumber and Dee Henderson are a few more of my favorites. I enjoy reading books in series. I feel like I get to know the characters and look forward to meeting them again in other books.