Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can you build up stash when life gets in the way >

How can you build up stash when life gets in the way

How can you build up stash when life gets in the way

Old 12-31-2010, 12:38 PM

Try Bonnie Hunters site, quiltville.com and her blog quiltville.blogspot.com. She takes shirts from thrift stores, garage sales and makes alot of her quilts. I am so sorry for your loss
Old 12-31-2010, 02:23 PM

You can send out a note to churches that you are trying to quilt and would appreciate donations of cotton fabric. Before you know it, you will find fabric on your doorstep from interested folk, or the church will notify you if someone has some fabric for you. Good luck in accumulating a stash.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 PM

So sorry for you loss. I lost my husband of 27 years in 2008.
I have to say that quilting got me through some very tough times during his illness and after his death. Continuously look at Craigslist sometimes people give away fabric and scraps for free or for a very small fee. but you need to react quickly. I wish you peace for the new year.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Hello Deborah...i have some material i will send u if u want it ,,,for i dont quilt that much any more ,,it is different colors ,,some big n some small pieces,, get back with me if u r interested,,barbara
Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 PM

I sent you a PM
Old 12-31-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets are a good way to get cheap fabric & thread..
Be careful buying thread this way since thread seems to deteriorate faster than cloth. If the spool looks old, walk away.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 PM

I am so sorry about your loss. I built up m "stash" by buying fat quarters and stuff off ebay. I have way too many now, lol, They really offer good buys, just watch for them, some days are better than others.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:09 PM

Hi, Watch for garage sales in the paper and sometimes they will say Fabric, and check the Thrift Stores. You could even put an add in a small little free paper that you are looking for fabric scraps. Hope you have a good New Year and find some real good deals. I have been sewing Items to sell for 6 years now and that is how I have so many scraps.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dogles
Recently I lost my husband of 34 years. We have three children and have 3 granddaughters. I have my youngest daugther and youngest granddaughter living with me. I live in a small 3 bedroom mobile home. I want to start quilting. so far the only thing I have done is the breast cancer awareness quilt for my sister and the cross stitch quilt for my middle granddaughter. I have a few scraps from these. I want to start quilting but don't have the money or the stash. How do I start to build up so I can quilt?
I understand your loss, I lost my husband of 24 years to lung problems 4 years ago.Second hand stores around here have resonable priced mens shirts and fabric.
Good Luck things will get better,God Bless
Old 12-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

So sorry to hear of your loss of your husband. My condolences to you!
The way women 'used to' quilt, back in the day, was by recycling the still good parts of otherwise worn out clothing. So the thrift store or rummage sale is a good place to look. If you get to a rummage sale towards the end of their day, they may be down to letting people stuff a bag or two for a dollar! That's what they do around here... Look for the 100% cotton clothing and then just cut them up.
Many people are finding fabrics on Craigslist, too. Good luck!