Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting >

Lighting

Lighting

Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 AM

I have a ott light and love it. It's a table light and would like to get the floor light, but too spendy
Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 PM

eaglebeak1960,
I purchases my 28 LED task lights from All Brands.com for about $60.00. Be sure that you are getting the attachment bracket were every you order.
I also have one over my sergers that is only 6 LED flexible arm that I got at OVC for about 1/2 the price and it's not even half the light.
I think Connie was asking why everything is going to LED lights.
First, the regular light bulb will no longer be available by Jan 2012 or any bulb that has mercury. The next thing is electric cost that will be going up really fast because of the oil prices. The LED takes about 80% less electric to run and the bulbs have lots more hours on them. We put all LED in the kitchen and under cabinets and it cost us several hundred dollars, but my first month electric bill went down over $20. Sam's Wholesale carries some of the LED bulbs and so does Home Depot.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Kas

I hate the CFL bulbs! I have had two that burned out start to melt the plastic they are mounted in! If I hadn't been home and smelled the burning plastic, my house could have gone up in flames. They are a health hazard and not many people dispose of them the right way. I thought the environmentalists were all up in arms about the former president not doing enough about lowering Mercury levels in our ground water. Now they are so happy that the only bulbs we will be able to buy release mercury when broken. Huh? You have to call HAZMAT if you break one in your house. Just ridiculous. There. I said it.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I am so glad I found this topic! Should have found it earlier as I was trying to sew navy blue fabric with a small desk lamp and the non-existent light on my sewing machine. I can't use flourescent as they give me migraines. I wear no-line bi-focal glasses, too, so that is another issue. I was looking at the Ott lights but never could bring myself to spend the money so I'm glad to know that I might be able to buy the knock-off at Big Lots. I have to have a bright white light to really see well. I'm thinking about getting a floor lamp (knockoff Ott) so it doesn't take up a lot of room on my sewing cabinet. My overhead light is a ceiling fan with 3 lights and I put in the highest wattage it calls for. I then have 2 other lamps in my little tiny sewing room/office and still can't see well so hate to go in there in late afternoon or night. Luckily, there is a large window that lets in good light during the day...if the sun is shining, that is!
I go a generic Ott light at Lowe's or Home Depot for my FIL - he has macular degeneration as well - was far less expensive then Joann's
Old 12-30-2010, 11:43 PM
QM
Power Poster

My OTT light came from an office supply store at $13. It's one of the same ones I've seen at several times the price through quilting sites. DH saw them and bought me 3.

A fairly big % of our national power bill is spent on lighting. LEDs are much more efficient. My high powered LED spot lights use 7.5 watts, but are comparable to 150 watts of ordinary light. DH and I are probably more fanatical about this because we live off the grid, but everyone should be more concerned, IMHO. Whether powered by oil, coal, or whatever, power is becoming a major national problem. My desk light uses 3 watts of power and lights extremely well. We are converting our home to LEDs as we find them on sale.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 AM

We have 4 of the 4ft Shop Lights with the florescent tubes and I love them! I also have a floor Ott light beside my machine & a Bendable Bright Light on my machine. So I am very well lit! LOL
Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 AM
QM
Power Poster

Good for you,, and for your eyes.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 PM

I have about 650 sq ft. of sewing and quilting space. It has 7 eyeball recessed lights from the 70's that I have placed GE Reveal bulbs in. I recently got a LA and found I needed more light, especially in that area. I put in a "T" shaped track with 8 fixtures. I love the track! You can aim the bulbs criss-crossing around the room and the coverage is incredible.

The problem at the present is that the energy consumption of incandescent bulbs and halogens are quite high for the light output. The heat output is equal at the same wattage. However, the shape and focus makes the halogens seem hotter.

My DH and I have tried about 7 different CFL's with varying satisfaction. The "coil only" versions are difficult to look at, very bright. The flood style with the coil enclosed is more diffused and easier on the eyes, but pricier! Color, light output, and watts are all important factors. Rating systems exist for all of these issues, but it takes a lot to sort it out.

BTW, it is getting very difficult to find the "Edison" screw-in fixtures and lamps as the energy conservation becomes more of a priority.

In my area, Salt Lake, the Lowes and Home Depot are carrying a different mix of bulbs. It pays to look at each.

I love my Ott's and think they are the best for localized task lighting.

Good luck! Get what you really like. It makes a big difference in how your space feels.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 PM

What I wouldn't give to have that much space for a sewing room. That's almost as big as my home. I could really make a mess and you could still get around without having to stop and clean up before you start a new project. I'm with you when it comes to the ott light. It's great.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
love my florescent halogen gets to hot
ditto.

florescent lights are available in many different "warmths" or color spectrums. check out a display of the different ones at a home improvement store; you may find one you like.