Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting >

Lighting

Lighting

Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by new user
What I wouldn't give to have that much space for a sewing room. That's almost as big as my home. I could really make a mess and you could still get around without having to stop and clean up before you start a new project. I'm with you when it comes to the ott light. It's great.
I know! I am really spoiled! I love it, though!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM

My halogen bulbs get so hot over my sewing table I have to run the A/C as well as the ceiling fan. I wish for an Ott lamp for my table.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

stuff the tracking and shop lighting ,get a 1/2 standard lamp with a 150 watt bulb ------all you need for hand quilting!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM

I work with many types of lighting in my job and favor LED lighting. I recently put track lighting above my longarm and used ECOSMART led A19 bulbes in the track lighting. You can also use these bulbs in any light fixture that takes a regular light bulb. These bulbs as well as Phillips are available at Home Depot & Lowes. It is more of a white light than florescents is pleasing to the eye and uses less electricity.
It takes 6 LED's to equal the energy used in1 regular 60W light bulb.
The down side to LED's is they may go out but usually within the first 30 days, once past that they are very dependable and they have a warranty for 6 years so you can return them.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Terry M
I work with many types of lighting in my job and favor LED lighting. I recently put track lighting above my longarm and used ECOSMART led A19 bulbes in the track lighting. You can also use these bulbs in any light fixture that takes a regular light bulb. These bulbs as well as Phillips are available at Home Depot & Lowes. It is more of a white light than florescents is pleasing to the eye and uses less electricity.
It takes 6 LED's to equal the energy used in1 regular 60W light bulb.
The down side to LED's is they may go out but usually within the first 30 days, once past that they are very dependable and they have a warranty for 6 years so you can return them.
Good to know the equivalent conversion for LED's. Thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM

Do you know that flourescent light will fade colors in fabric faster than direct sun? I had a wallhanging in my office, after a couple of years, took it down to wash and the same fabrics on the back were still vivid...not at all like to front. Also, had a wallhanging at a craft/antique shop for about 6 months, the flourescent light hit at a diagonal across the lower side..very noticeable fading there.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by Qbee
Well my hubby still says hanging florescent shop light for my area would be best...hmmm??? I'm turning the basement into my quilting room and the area is about 17 by 20 with just the one ceiling fan light in the middle. My cutting table is over in one corner and positioned so that I am facing away from the light kinda of blocking the light from the table. His idea is to have a shop like in the corner hanging directly over the cutting table but then one person said that it causes a glare on the rulers?? Gosh...I'm getting more confused :(
I have my sewing studio in the basement. When I had it built I had pot lights installed and use the Reveal bulbs. They give a natural light out. It lets you see the "True" color in your fabric. Here is a pic of part of my room; you'll see there is lots of light and no shadows cast. Hope this is the right pic. Sorry, wrong pic. I'll try to find it.
Okay, trying again with right pic.
Oh, my goodness! A sewing room to die for!!!

I have an Ott lamp to do hand sewing, over head lights but my favorite is a torche' (spelling?) that I use with a 500 Watt bulb. I don't have any trouble with being too hot. It lights up my room like I'm at the beach. The last bulb lasted 4 years and cost $7.98 at Lowe's. I tried not replacing the bulb when it burned out but it's like working in a mine at night without it.
My eyes have changed and I can't see up close very good at all. I guess you have to use what works for you...
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 AM

I have shelves about 18"-24" above my sewing machine and my cutting area. I went to Home Depot and bought some small flourescent lights that hang under the shelf (about 18" long), and wow what a difference! All I had before was ceiling light. Now I can see detail in what I am doing.........