Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You ever think your just not good at this ? >

You ever think your just not good at this ?

You ever think your just not good at this ?

Old 01-01-2011, 05:36 AM

Keep on stitching---I've been at this for 44 years and I still feel that way at times. I went to a national show and saw all the outstanding pieces hung there and thought "why do I even try". But then I come back down to earth and realize I do this for ME. Not for what someone else will think of my work. My points still do not always meet, I sometimes get a wavy border and then realize I just can correct it, or leave it. Somehow the grandkids never seem to notice the not matched point. I'm sure your hubby will be wrapped in the love you put into that quilt. He sounds like a real keeper.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:44 AM

I'm new to all of this, I've been sewing/quilting since September. I am no where near perfect but in the eyes of the receiver I am "AWESOME". As "dunster" said, practice makes perfect" When it's made with love, it's more than perfect! It's UNIQUE!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:54 AM

It has only been a few other people who said they didn't like my quilts because they were "too scrappy"...however, it didn't work on me because I don't care. I do it because I enjoy it. Those people stopped even commenting when they found they had no effect. I never consider it a chore - it is my relaxation.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 AM

I keep trying new things....some stuff is less important to me. i hated my bindings i the begining so I kept at it and each time got a little better and now i like to do bindings .Now I'm tackling points.. i have to practice the precise1/4" seam to get this one worked out. I don't unsew so much as keep on going and when finish identify an area to focus on for the next time. I spent a lot of time ripping seams when i sewed garments, ugh! Quilting is like therapy for me -very calming and when finished there is a good feeling of accomplishment. Each quilt I do shows improvement in so I know I am growing and learning all the time.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 AM

I too look at quilt shows and think what am I doing? But, I'm not entering shows, just having fun. That's what matters. My husband loves my quilts and that is good enough for me!! :)
Old 01-01-2011, 06:29 AM

Practice makes perfect. Just keep at it and it will get better. Don't beat yourself up!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 AM

Like most of you I am my own worst critic. I have been at this since 1966. I had been quilting for at least ten years before I saw other people's work and was blown away. I had the nerve to enter a quilt in the Great American Quilt Contest that was held in New York to celebrate the anniversary of the Statue of Liberty. My husband took me to see the show when it was hung. I walked around with my mouth hanging open. I had never imagined such work actually existed.
I still don't like piecing and my points etc don't always match. I keep telling myself that fabric is not a stable medium. My husband is a machinist and he says even metal swells and contracts. I don't have a lot of UFOs because I rarely start something I don't finish. My favorite part is the actual quilting, usually by hand. I have taught myself to do the other parts with a lot of help from lectures and a few workshops. I usually manage to make about 6 or 7 Linus quilts a month usually by machine or by crocheting edges on fleece throws etc. I spent yesterday afternoon packing up 12 wallhanging I made for members of my family that I will see tomorrow. They are all done by machine including the embroidery. I do some garment sewing from scratch but mostly altering my husband's pants etc. or mending things. I am currently handquilting the raffle quilt for this year's Linus Chapter raffle. I have done one for them the last two years. Someone else provides the top. In the long run we really only have to please ourselves. I get pleasure and satisfaction out of creating something from the fabrics I love to see, touch and work with.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 AM

Ithink that way a lot, & get frustrated. I do try to keep at it, but there are more days I run out of time & I don't work outside of the home nor do we have children ( only fur kids ). Still not enough hours in the day to get it all done. I don't know how a lot of you get time. :-)
Old 01-01-2011, 07:03 AM

As long as you keep trying, that's the main thing. Don't give up, seems like you like because you keep on quilting, so go for it and don't worry about the quality. You are probably doing better than you think!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Oh, I thought I was reading my own post! I feel exactly the same way! But then I make a quilt, give it to someone (who doesn't quilt) and when they oooh and aaah over it, I feel pretty encouraged again. I can see some progress in my skills and this is such an addictive hobby, so I keep on going.