Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting >

Spray Basting

Spray Basting

Old 01-02-2011, 04:27 AM

I use the spray basting here and there.... usually use a pair or tweezer to hold smaller pieces amd spray intoa designated box surround. I have yet to get the "spray off my tweezers.... I have tried soap and water, I have tried 409 , goo be gone,I have even tried acitone... those tweezer are just shot now.... I am very careful what I use the spray basting on, but to if it wont even clean off of stainless steel why would it wash out of fabric..... If I have to glue something, I use elmers.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 AM

This is a great idea! do you hang it all first spray and smooth down...or hang one layer at a time and spray.
Originally Posted by Brenda
When I spray baste I hang the top and backing on the
clothesline to spray. This takes care of residue on the
floors and carpeting, and ventilation too.
Brenda from Wadesville, In
Old 01-02-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I am always amazed at how/why people choose to use a petroleum based product on a living fiber!
It washes out. Of course, I'm sure my Tide and Dreft have petroleum of sort in them too. Whatever will we do? Can't win them all
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 AM

Check out the recent thread about making your own "soap" for washing clothes/quilts. No petroleum products there. They also sell a lot of very environmentally friendly products for washing clothes at grocery stores now.

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I am always amazed at how/why people choose to use a petroleum based product on a living fiber!
It washes out. Of course, I'm sure my Tide and Dreft have petroleum of sort in them too. Whatever will we do? Can't win them all
Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by geckogirl
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I use to spray baste all my smaller quilts, and my one table has the residue to prove it. I always thought I was being careful and spraying only within the center of it, but somehow that spray would get everywhere on my cutting table.

To this date, I am unable to scrub that bumpy feeling off my table...it's not sticky, just bumpy.
I do a lot of photography and this happens with any spray adhesive ... get some Goo Be Gone and it should bring the bumpy stuff off NO problem :)

Ohhh, thanks for the tip. I think the ex left some of that in the garage.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:55 AM

Be sure to use your walking foot I spray basted my moms queen size and got to the end of inside border and had a big pucker took me 8 hours to rip out decorative stitches because thread matched so closely it was hard to see .I had forgot to put my walking foot on but I pinned just to make sure it wouldn't happen again .It worked fine on my smaller quilts and I liked it but big quilts I will use my basting pins.Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 AM

I tried spraying one time and on a double wedding quilt I made. I sure hope it washed out and that it wouldn't ruin over time, since I worked really a long time to do a good job. Thanks for the heads up on the spray basting. It didn't work well for me on the dwq and ended up throwing the batting out and starting over and pin basting it.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 AM

I mostly pin baste, but I love that I can spray baste in situations where a bit of a hurry is needed. Of course, I want people to cuddle my quilts. I want them to get washed over and over and snuggled around tiny babies. I don't want them to sit in a museum or still be perfectly preserved generations from now ;)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 AM

Usually I hang the top and backing on the clothline at
the same time if there is enough room. I have only used
spray basting on small to mid size projects, never a full
sized quilt. What is 505???
Brenda from Wadesville IN
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 AM

After reading all I have about spray basting. I am going try it! Thanks.