Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting >

Spray Basting

Spray Basting

Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mattee
There are a bunch of comments about not worrying about using spray basting because one doesn't expect one's quilt to end up in a museum. There are other reasons not to use it, though. Some people (myself included) try to minimize our exposure to unnecessary chemicals, usually for either health or environmental reasons, or both. That's why, even though it's much easier, I won't use it. I don't consider myself a quilting purist - not at all - I just don't like using unnecessary chemicals. Oh, and I'm a chemist.
I hear ya...and it is not just what you might breathe in, but the test have shown that not all brands completely dissipate! That means that the quilt you give to your loved one might cause them harm as well! Who knows what you will be allowing your gandbaby to chew on with that quilt!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by moreland
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
This is a rather old article, but would you believe it is the only published on this subject. The results were published in Quilter's newsletter magazine in 2005!

http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/article...44-01-003.html

Here is a quick run down on their conclusion!

"Fusible battings appear to be an acceptable commercial adhesive-containing product for quilts intended as heirlooms or for sale to collectors or museums.

"All the quilt-basting sprays, except Spray and Fix (505 - Lisa~), were associated with significant yellowing or strength losses following both shorter and longer periods of heat-aging and light exposure.

"Fusible webs, while acceptable for quilts intended to last for a lifetime, could not be recommended for quilts intended to be handed down from generation to generation or for studio art quilts intended for sale to serious collectors or museums."

There is one other note to consider. Have your read the ingredients on the can? DId you know they are not required to list ALL of the ingredients? Several of them contain cancer agents. Hence the ORMD label!
I read this article when it came out, but it did not convince me to not use spray basting. The whole point is what do you expect to happen to your quilts. Mine have been made to be used and enjoyed. If they make it through the life of the first recipient, they will have done their job. If it is a child's quilt, it might only need to last a few years. I suspect this fits the majority of the quilting that we do--Because their are some purists, like yourself, the rest of us can be assured the "art" of quilting will last for many generations to come, because your quilts will be at the Quilt Museum and mine will be in a dog box someplace. (grin) And that will be just fine--isn't it wonderful that we can all do our own thing in this craft and it is "OK".
:) I so totally agree with you. I am more of a purist myself but love that everyone has their own style and does not need permission from anyone to do WHATEVER works best for them.
(This thread is the most debate I have seen on the board so far..Good for discussion but ladies, lighten up. lol)
Old 01-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I'm going to try it....a quilting teacher I had swore by it. She covered a wall with papers I think and pinned the backing then sprayed and layered batting and top. She said it was very easy smoothing the wrinkles out.
I do my small quilts across my bed--I used to spread a flannel backed tablecloth out, but as I've gained more experience, I find I use less spray, and have very little over spray. I do have a washable blanket I'm working on.
I should add, though, that I am doing almost all mine with fleece (heavy, not thin) backing and no batting. And I can work from top to bottom, folding over what I've done then lift a new section onto the bed. It doesn't seem too hard to keep things pretty straight, however, I do self-binding with the fleece so do some trimming after I get the quilting done. It doesn't take much just enough to anchor things so it washes easily. I used to do the backing, batting, and tops but I've gotten so I send that kind to my LAQ.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 AM

June Taylor is the one I used...my husband said he did not smell anything. I smelled a slightly but only while I was spraying it. It worked like a charm!!! No pins!!! I left it over night and had no issues, it did not hurt my needle at all and its not stiff.
Originally Posted by steelecg
I love spray basting but be careful which one you use - June Taylor or the one in the pink can work best. Light spray is all you need
Old 01-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Can anyone please explain a little more on layering the quilt on the wall? I am working on a king size and am not at all looking forward to crawling on the floor again, it nearly killed me before. I like the idea of using a wall, but not sure how to do it. I appreciate any help I can get.
Susan
Old 01-02-2011, 12:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww
here is a video on wall basting
Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 PM

livleylady, can you explain a little more on layering the quilt on the wall? I am very new to quilting, have made a king size and 2 crib sizes. I used the floor for the king size and a table for the other two. I am working on another king size now and am not at all looking forward to crawling on the floor again, it nearly killed me before. I like the idea of using a wall, but not sure how to do it. I appreciate any help I can get.
Susan
Old 01-02-2011, 12:11 PM

I just posted a video..on how to do bast on the wall.
Originally Posted by susanwilley
livleylady, can you explain a little more on layering the quilt on the wall? I am very new to quilting, have made a king size and 2 crib sizes. I used the floor for the king size and a table for the other two. I am working on another king size now and am not at all looking forward to crawling on the floor again, it nearly killed me before. I like the idea of using a wall, but not sure how to do it. I appreciate any help I can get.
Susan
Old 01-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Spray basting is the best! I was leary at first, but no more. Ventilation is always the rule when using any kind of spray product, just common sense.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks so much Caro! That video is a big help!