Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you build your stash? >

How do you build your stash?

How do you build your stash?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
I use to buy fabric just because I liked it. I put it in my stash just waiting for the right pattern to come along. Unfortunately, I still have most of that fabric (bought at least 8 years ago!) and wonder why I ever bought it! What made me think I liked it back then is beyond me because now I don't like it and some of it is "cheap" (I got most of it at WalMart) and ugly. I don't even like it to use it in a scrappy.

Now I buy fabric (mostly Moda) when I have a specific project in mind.
Remember if it still looks ugly, it just hasn't been cut up small enough yet!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM

yes but its a good kind,just think about the beautiful thing you will make with it.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned

I've just started building my stash recently. There's a discount fabric store not too far from where I live that is basically fabric heaven. They have a ton of designer fabrics for between $4 - $9, and when I'm working on a specific project, I look at those.

But on one side of the building are these big wooden bins, FILLED with stacks of folded fabric, all selling for $1.98 a yard. I'd say 95-98% of it is ugly and cheap, but if you spend a lot of time poking around in it, you can find some really nice stuff; sometimes it's even the same stuff that is over in the $4 - $9 area; it's just not on a bolt. I spent $100 yesterday, and it was a lot of fun :) I have certain criteria that I work off of when searching through the bins:

- I stick with mostly single-color based fabric, i.e. ones that predominantly give off the feel of one color, such as light green flowers on a darker green base. My theory is that those fabrics will continue to be usable for a long time (i.e. not feel dated in a few years), and will also generally be easier to use in quilts.

- small prints only. This is my personal preference, but again, I think they're less likely to feel dated in a few years, and will always be usable.

- quality of the cotton. Has to be good to the touch and not feel too thin or cheap.

- I occasionally break my rules and will buy something that has a large print or multiple colors, but it has to be something really special.

My husband and I are currently reworking our bonus room, which is my quilting room, and also his gaming room. We'll be putting bookshelves across an entire wall, so I will have plenty of room for my stash!

Oh, incidentally, the fabric store for anyone living in Southern California: M&L Fabrics in Anaheim. Worth taking a look at when you've got some time!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:02 AM

Brenda, I have a very small stash too, and I like it like that! My taste in fabrics has so changed sence I started quilting, and not just once or twice, but it keeps on changeing. The colors I like right now might not be the colors I like 6 months down the road, so I just keep my stash down to what really speaks to me now, gave the rest to a group of quilters doing chairty quilts for their neighbors, in a very poor area.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM

I love fabric like everone here but tend to keep my stash small. I do take advantage of sales ,but mostly have something in mind for the fabric I buy. I did however go hog wild after thanksgiving on sale fabric, but I made 13 lap quilts for Alzhiemer's patients. That is how I spent my Christmas shopping money. Still working on the quilts, but made the tops.

As other's have stated my tastes have changed from ten years ago. It is a good thing that I don't have a big stash of fabric I don't like anymore! I think the best advise is to keep things in moderation. Buy what you can reasonably sew with, and stock up on notions like templates and rulers and patterns.