Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting >

Spray Basting

Spray Basting

Old 01-02-2011, 05:01 PM

I have a Bernina. Just watch to see that the needle does not gum up. Also make sure it is dry and you may be spraying too much on the quilt. I just finished a twin size and did not have any problems other than the fact the Bernina is small. Sure saved a lot of work
Originally Posted by shequilts
I personally don't like the spray baste because it "gums" up my Bernina.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM

I too spray baste and love it. My old fingers do not allow me to work the safety pins anymore.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:38 PM

I've recently learned a new way to spray baste & so far it's working well for me. Pin (or tape) single sheets of newspaper all over your design wall, pin the quilt back over the newspapers, smooth backing with your hand moving easily across the fabric, spray, place batting over backing & smooth, smooth, smooth until all is straight, then lightly spray batting & place top over it & smooth, smooth, smooth. I leave it hanging on the wall for a while before I start to FMQ, it seems to leave less residue when it's a bit drier.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM

I used J Tailor I bought it at Joanns it was 50 percent off.
Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by carolaug
I just sprayed my queen size quilt....first time I have ever tried it...LOVED it...It is now ready for me to start quilting in the morning...if you have never tried spray basting I recommend it...I did do it on my kitchen floor and opened the sliding door for fresh air.
What brand did you use?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:09 PM

I posted a video of this. its on this thread. I plan on trying it next time.
Originally Posted by quilterfly
I've recently learned a new way to spray baste & so far it's working well for me. Pin (or tape) single sheets of newspaper all over your design wall, pin the quilt back over the newspapers, smooth backing with your hand moving easily across the fabric, spray, place batting over backing & smooth, smooth, smooth until all is straight, then lightly spray batting & place top over it & smooth, smooth, smooth. I leave it hanging on the wall for a while before I start to FMQ, it seems to leave less residue when it's a bit drier.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Here in Canada, 505 is over $30/lg. can so I am using fusible batting when Connecting Threads has their batting sales (often) and buy a case. It actually is cheaper that way (for me anyway) . I love the fact that I can use up batting pieces without sewing them together...just fuse and use!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM

I heartily second the spray basters! It is especially good for my charity quilts. Lay them on the bed, layer them up, then spray in 1/3s. Holds better than pins, and can be repositioned if you don't press too hard when smoothing.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
There are a bunch of comments about not worrying about using spray basting because one doesn't expect one's quilt to end up in a museum. There are other reasons not to use it, though. Some people (myself included) try to minimize our exposure to unnecessary chemicals, usually for either health or environmental reasons, or both. That's why, even though it's much easier, I won't use it. I don't consider myself a quilting purist - not at all - I just don't like using unnecessary chemicals. Oh, and I'm a chemist.
After using the basting spray once, I found out it is great but you have to have great ventilation. I have asthma and it really affected my breathing when I started to use it. Now I cover my face with a cloth and leave the room while it dries.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Count me in as another spray baster! Been doing this for 5-6 years now and I rarely use pins. I also mainly baste on the wall - so much easier than getting down on the floor once you get the hang of it.

BTW - I use a mask when I'm basting and the room I do it in has several windows. I am not really "afraid" of the fumes, but just very sensitive to smells in general. I don't worry too much about this being a chemical - most of my quilts are art quilts and even the bed or lap quilts I make, I figure it washes out well and definitely wears off over time.

Tanesha
Old 01-02-2011, 07:31 PM

The only time I ever had a problem with gummy needles was when I used it with Minkee backing. I possibly used too much, but I was trying to use it very sparingly, so I think it a little more likely that the spray reacted chemically with the polyester Minkee.

Maybe it would react with the poly in 80/20 batts, too? I think the only batts I've used so far with the 505 or June Tailor sprays were 100% cotton.

I wonder if anyone has had gummy needles when they used the spray sparingly on 100% cotton batt and fabric? Or did you get the gumminess when you were using a poly or poly blend batt or backing?

I just kept cleaning the needle with TriFlow lubricant and prayed for the end of that blasted Minkee quilt! Oh, I was so happy to get that thing done! :D