Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do any of you ever use a light box ? >

Do any of you ever use a light box ?

Do any of you ever use a light box ?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 AM

My Son Made me a Light Table a few years back. It's wonderful. About 2 1/2 feet by just over 4 feet. He used 4 4ft florecent tube bulbs, a sheet of glass, put a white sheet of fabric down to keep out the glare and then another piece of glass. He even built a light switch and an electrical outlet into it. It's high enough to also use as a cutting table. I'm so blessed.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by grandma sue
Very ingenious. I have a plexiglas extension table on my machine. I lay my Ott-Lite under it with the light shining up and it makes a great light box.
I use this method except I have a round light that uses batteries under mine.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM

For a long time, I used the glass coffee table with a desk lamp underneath. Now I have a small commercial lightbox which I purchased on sale at Hobby Lobby.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:03 PM

I put a sheet of glass over the 'hole' meant for my sewing machine in my sewing table, put a lamp on the floor & voila - a light table. I use removable tape to hold things together while I trace. If I'm doing a quilt label, I type it with a LARGE font on my computer, print it and trace it on either the backing or the fabric I'm using for a label.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 PM

I received one for christmas that my girlfriend's husband made for me. It is so cool. I love it. I'm teaching myself how to applique and it does come in handy.

There not cheap to buy a good one. There was a nice one on ebay that a someone was making them. It was very nice and not to bad of a price. I just don't remember what the shipping was.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 PM

I use mine all the time. One day after work, it was dark already and couldn't use the window, no lightsource after dark, so I made a light box out of some pine planks and a piece of leftover perspex I found in the shed, dismantled an old bedside table lamp and added a handle from an old attache case, so it's easy to carry. It's quite heavy though as I made it 10" high so my back doesn't hurt from bending over. It's probably the ugliest lightbox I've ever seen though. Did not even bother painting it, but it does it's job very well.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 PM

That is the way I did it, except I used a sturdy box about 5 inches deep. worked great. did all my squares for a redwork quilt.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
When I was trying to put a picture on a piece of fabric, I got an old empty drawer, a piece of flexi-glass and a flashlight and went to work. My "new" light box did the trick.It worked like a charm. Has any of you ever done the same thing?
I made my own using a wooden box and the glass off an old fridge shelf. I had a light put in with a switch on the outside, it works great. always use it when tracing patterns onto either paper or fabric.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:05 AM

light boxes are handy for a great many things. I am so glad I have one to use. :thumbup:
Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 PM

I work at a printing plant when we went to computers I was able to buy one of the light tables the graphic artists used. It's about 4 feet long, 3 feet wide, can adjust from 3 feet to 4 feet tall & it tilts. Yes it's big & heavy like a peice of furniture but I can even trace patterns on it. Oh and it only cost $25.