Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay it forward... >

Pay it forward...

Pay it forward...

Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 PM

From what I understand, January has always been pretty much of a slow month for retailers. Money has been spent for Christmas and much of it has been put on credit cards and must be paid back. We pay cash for that very reason. Maybe next month will start being better for her shop. I certainly hope so.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:58 PM

harry, you could always PM those who might be willing to help. that way it isnt public info. i think you should do it that way. i would help if i could. PM those interested, and see how it goes
Old 01-09-2011, 05:07 PM

How true is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM

I run a sign shop and it can't be that different from a quilt shop. However, I pay more per sq/ft/ for my vinyl than "Signs by Tomorrow" or one of the other franchises. So when it comes to sales I can't sell 1/2 priced signs and banners. I understand all too well that my LQS can't drop her prices 50-75% and still make a dime. They don't have that kind of money in the fabric and they pay extraordinary shipping costs. If you don't believe me take the measurements of a bolt of fabric to your local FEDEX or UPS and see how much it costs to ship 500 miles and multiply that by 2000 bolts. Thats just for shipping.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 PM

I buy from my LQS when I can. I do buy on line because many times it is cheaper. I guess I buy half at LQS and half on line. The economy isn't good and with everything going up and not our wages it is hard. With fuel oil prices this winter I have to be more careful as I'm retired also. I love to quilt but I'm not buy as much as I did last year. Sure hope this all turns around soon, not just for us but everyone that has lost a job and losing their homes, cars etc. It a sad state of affairs. Right on about the government!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by harryb1834
They have a website, but you can't buy anything on it unless you call it in. It is also very limited on the selection. I think most of the business is instore.

I would rather not publish the name of the shop for her privacy even though I know it would help.

- Harry
Maybe you could ask her permission to post it.. it might generate business for her. Just a thought.

My apologies....just read further posting and this suggestion was posted waaaaayyyy ahead of mine...
Intent the same.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 PM

I guess that im thankful.I have a great QS in my town.The owner is the sweetiest person that I know.Have a ?,ask,she will go out of her way to find the answer if she does not know it.I dont always have alot of money,but....I try to spend as much as I can to help keep her in business.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by mortinarose
I buy from my LQS when I can. I do buy on line because many times it is cheaper. I guess I buy half at LQS and half on line. The economy isn't good and with everything going up and not our wages it is hard. With fuel oil prices this winter I have to be more careful as I'm retired also. I love to quilt but I'm not buy as much as I did last year. Sure hope this all turns around soon, not just for us but everyone that has lost a job and losing their homes, cars etc. It a sad state of affairs. Right on about the government!
Everything we have studied says this year will get worse rather better economically but 2012 is supposed to improve. Those of us on social security are really struggling to survive.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Please, please, no more about the government. After last week's acrimonious posts and nasty name-calling, can't we please limit these posts to quilting/sewing topics?

Dana
Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 AM

Have sufficient stash to weather the high prices, however this is also related to the general economic conditions which we handle with our votes!