St. Louis

Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM

I'm from the St. Louis area where it has just gotten cold enough to keep me inside and away from my gardening. I have been married for 26 years and have three children. I have always planned to make baby quilts for my three grown children from their old baby clothes which I have saved over the years. The time has come for me to get started but I do not know where to begin.

I have cut the usable fabric from the zippers, snaps seams etc. and now I am trying to decide what size blocks to use. I am just going to do a simple 4 or 6 inch block and buy a simple plain or simple pattern material for filling in (as I'm afraid of running out of usable fabric for the three quilts.

Questions: I am thinking of going with the smaller 4" block because of the small size of some of the usable pieces I have, I'm afraid a 6" would leave me with some pieces that I cannot use, does this make sense?

I am also thinking of making the quilts crib size (45X60) instead of square, what is everyone's opinion on that? I'm thinking they will get more use with that size.

Any other hints or tips would be most helpful or maybe a good website to go to. And I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions

I'm excited but a little nervous, don't want to mess up those precious clothes.

Thanks everyone!!
Pam :D
Old 11-17-2008, 05:44 PM

Welcome Pam!!

I think the 4" would be a nice size. Your kids will really love these quilts no matter what size they are :wink:
Old 11-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Welcome from Smokey Southern California!!! I think 4 inch blocks are good. My preference is for rectangle quilts, not square and a baby size could make a nice small lap quilt or something they can use for their own children. Making a quilt is something I never even thought of when my children were small, so therefore I gave away pretty much all of their clothes to family and friends for their children. The few things I saved, I don't want to cut up.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:33 AM

Hi Pam welcome from Mass.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:22 PM

Hi Pam and welcome from North Carolina.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 AM

Hello from Ohio....I'm sure whatever size you choose will be okay....you learn to make do ....and if you run short you just add some more scraps...Good luck and keep us informed of your progress
Old 11-19-2008, 05:01 AM

Welcome from Dallas, Texas.

If you are working with fabrics other than cotton you might want to consider backing them with some form of stabilizer. That will keep them from stretching. Also to keep from stretching is try to cut the fabrics on the straight of grain. You might get less blocks but they will be much easier to work with.

We are looking forward to pictures as you work.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Banned

Hello Pam....... Welcome from Washington
Old 11-19-2008, 06:19 AM

Welcome from NE CA
Old 11-19-2008, 05:37 PM

Welcome, from across the river (Mighty Mississippi River that is). That is a great idea for a quilt. I have been quilting for years and also never thought of saving to make a quilt out of the old baby clothes. Instead my daughters have to deal with new fabric in their quilts. Oh well, some of us have a great idea too late. Good luck and crib quilt size would be great. It will last and be a great toddler quilt.