Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting on your lap >

hand quilting on your lap

hand quilting on your lap

Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM

I tried quilting with a hoop - I think it was 24" - BIG sucker. Too big. I think I need to get an oval one or rectangular snap-on otherwise I'd just try w/o hoop. I use the little leather stick-on dots instead of thimble.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

i baste really well and quilt WITHOUT a hoop in my lap, so far all of over 325 have worked out great. the larger, (queen and king) i do in pcs or strips).
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM

So happy to see so many hand quilters out there. I still prefer that to machine quilting - so much more authentic and they're also softer in appearance and touch. And I do it on my lap. Have only done lap size quilts and pillows, etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Quilt is beautiful, but Boo Kitty appears to have an attitude about some of your choices!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Check out Jean Brown's site. She does all of her quilting on a 14" lap hoop. Here is a link to her website:

http://www.jeansimpressions.com/

....scroll down a little to see her YouTube video of how she does it.

I love your Boo Kitty and he/she looks as if she is wanting to do the quilting herself :mrgreen:
I use Jean Brown's hoop - I also bought the Aunt Becky tool, but for some reason cannot get the jest of it. I tried quilting without a hoop on one of my smaller ones but just didn't feel comfortable so I went back to using the hoop. I can turn it anyway I need to so I am stitching in the direction that is comfortable for me. I have been working on a 58 x72 with this hoop and I just love it. My next one which is almost ready is 82" square and I don't think I will have a problem with it. One thing I did learn is not to have the quilt so tight in the hoop, mine is loose almost as Jean Brown's but not quite. Hard to explain.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 AM

Hi there,

I'm wondering, do you like the Jean Brown hoop?? I ordered one of those Aunt Becky tools from her site. My BIG draw to her technique is that she's preventing the wear and tear on her hands. My hands tended to cramp up a bit if I quilted too long. Jean makes is look SO easy, and I'm really hoping to be able to train myself to pick up that technique.

I'm currently getting ready to work on a paper-pieced table topper (it's cut out), and it's about 26" x 26". I'm thinking it would be THE perfect project to start the hand-quilting again. The machine quilting's nice for gifts for people who really have no idea how long it takes to hand quilt something and doesn't really care, either. I've spent hours quilting for family members who are like "oh, that's nice". I think I probably would've gotten the same response if it was machine quilted.

My table topper is a lovely shade of blues and purples. I'm finding myself 'broadening my color palette' more and more for some reason. I was always a neutral-ly quilter, but also just finished a really cute miniature Ohio block with bright reds, blues, oranges, and yellows. Oh what fun!

I have no quilting friends whatsoever, so it's nice to be involved in a list who 'gets' my love of quilting.

Thanks again, everybody!

Trina (who is expecting 4-6" of snow tonight and HOPES to be snowed in tomorrow!)

I use Jean Brown's hoop - I also bought the Aunt Becky tool, but for some reason cannot get the jest of it. I tried quilting without a hoop on one of my smaller ones but just didn't feel comfortable so I went back to using the hoop. I can turn it anyway I need to so I am stitching in the direction that is comfortable for me. I have been working on a 58 x72 with this hoop and I just love it. My next one which is almost ready is 82" square and I don't think I will have a problem with it. One thing I did learn is not to have the quilt so tight in the hoop, mine is loose almost as Jean Brown's but not quite. Hard to explain.[/quote]
Old 01-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Happy Treadler - I love using that hoop (Jean Brown's). I have also a 18" oval hoop and different sizes of the q-snap hoops (PVC ones) and I don't use them anymore unless I am doing small blocks like for the Rings that Bind quilts. I do have the Aunt Becky as stated above, but I can not get my needle to pick up the backing when using it. I love her method and since I am on the computer all day long (for work) I have pain by my thumbs and wrist - maybe the beginning of carpel tunnel - don't know, but I am always and have since I was in my teens doing some kind of hand stitching. I would love to be able to not move my hands in the rocking motion if I don't have to, but I got very frustrated trying to use Jean Brown's tool, of course except for her hoop. I just love it and it will last forever. - Sorry guys for making this long... :oops:
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM

i too love Boo...& i too have some furry quilt friends...have so many great pics now i should start a page of them...they have so many helpful ideas! LOLLOL

but i too use a hoop...a round one and an oval one or a scroll frame from my needlepoint days that i have attached muslin to [the 'rails']. the scroll frame is my fav one for pillows or wall hangings esp mini's - my preferred quilting project. have spinal disease and cannot sit at floor frame of any kind. i use old platform rocker that i can lean back in - support frame in my lap w/legs supported by stool. have tried recliner but angle seems wrong...at any rate i can't seem to quilt well in one.

i have done several bed sized quilts with my oval hoop ~18". use smaller round for corners.

i have antique c-clamp frame that rests on back of chairs. i pin layers on and then baste w/needle & thread every 3" working from cntr out. if kingsized quilt [like one i am working on now...i roll sides in few turns [after pinning layers to frame] till i can reach the cntr comfortably. use square grid method - working out in both directions - lengthwise then crosswise. when first started quilting many yrs ago used the method proposed by gwen marsten and joe cunningham in one of thier early books. that is...start corner to corner across cnter and then grid. it seemed to stretch it - so just the grid now. for smaller projects i c-clamp backing to my sewing table, then cntr batt and top and tape down edges [freezer tape works best...no residue] start in cnter again and then release tapes clamps and move whole up or down to finish the basting.

there are so!! many wonderful ideas and helps here to your post ...most any way you decide will work. it just has to work for you. i don't wander in here often...not much time for pc stuff, but when i can i come here and never fail to learn or be inspired...what a wonderful home away from home for quilters!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM

p.s. i am also a 'fingernail' quilt :))...tried all types of thimbles leather to traditional...fingernail just works best for me...and the underneath finger...well the callous blends in well with guitar callous and working with shovels, pruners and all other 'rough' stuff i do for fun and necessity :)).
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gabbystabber
Another fingernail quilter. Yee haw! Thought I was the only one out there. I use a small hoop which you would have no trouble with because you can quilt in all directions because you have used a floor frame. I have a floor frame, but I don't use it anymore. I drag my queen sized quilts to 2 different quilting groups in a laundry basket. It is amazing how much you get done on drag around days. Hand quilting is same as on floor hoop. You strat in the middle. Good luck.
Donna
Wow, did not know there was a name for this phenomenon. Thought I might be the only one messing up the fingernails. I sure have learned a lot from you guys on here.