Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting lap hoop >

Hand quilting lap hoop

Hand quilting lap hoop

Old 11-12-2008, 11:32 AM
HMK

Recently, I purchased the 14" lap hoop from Keepsake Quilting and find that the hoop attaches to the base by a wood ball & socket. When trying to move the hoop in different directions for hand quilting, it makes a loud, annoying squeaking sound. Even when I try & buffer it with felt or fabric the sound still resonates down the spindle to the base. I've been in contact with Keepsake and they can't suggest a solution and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience & if so, how you resolved it.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:27 PM

I'd try putting a bit of bar soap on it, first on the ball, then on the socket. Any other lubrication could damage your fabric.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:52 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

it sounds like it is too tight a fit...a couple of ideas to try firstly sprinkle talcum powder between the ball and socket as that is what is recommended for squeaky wooden floor boards.
As a last resort after trying everything else suggested by the wonderful people on this board try lightly sanding the ball[b][u] with very fine sandpaper and i mean lightly and keep testing until the squeak is no more..hope you find the solution..
Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
HMK

Thanks for the ideas but we've already tried all those. We first tried to buffer it with felt, then sanded, then the powder & then the soap. It's obviously a design flaw but no one can tell me who the manufacturer is but there's got to be a solution somehow. Will keep searching.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 PM

My husband says you might try wax, because it wont leave a residue and any little bit that gets on the quilt will wash out. He say's you can use CLEAR natural candle wax, or you can get a thing of dental wax, and use that.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:36 PM
HMK

We have some beeswax from when we had hives - the honey was awesome and the wax is soft. Would this damage any fabric that might touch the wood?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:07 AM

I have used silicone spray in cans...I think it is pretty safe unless you eat it...I have used it on windows, skateboards, all the stuff that couldn't have grease :D
Old 11-14-2008, 04:01 PM

I don't know if a very lightspray of WD-40 would help or not.. Don