Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting on your lap >

hand quilting on your lap

hand quilting on your lap

Old 01-11-2011, 12:40 PM

Hi Trina,
I also hand quilt only. I have done large quilts on my lap and without hoop. They all work out fine, I have tried to use a hoop (and a thimble) but I just can't do it.
My teacher told me in the beginning to do it which ever way was the best for me !
Mad Gertie from Kent (England)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 PM

"Wow, did not know there was a name for this phenomenon. Thought I might be the only one messing up the fingernails. I sure have learned a lot from you guys on here."

LOL!! The only other problem I have with my bad habit of fingernail quilting other than the hole in the nail is when the needle 'slips' and it turns into Chinese acupuncture - under my nail!! I think it's actually some kind of actual torture technique. That's enough to make you think it's time for a break. ;)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
"Wow, did not know there was a name for this phenomenon. Thought I might be the only one messing up the fingernails. I sure have learned a lot from you guys on here."

LOL!! The only other problem I have with my bad habit of fingernail quilting other than the hole in the nail is when the needle 'slips' and it turns into Chinese acupuncture - under my nail!! I think it's actually some kind of actual torture technique. That's enough to make you think it's time for a break. ;)
yep......that hurts!

:)
Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 PM

That's the only way I quilt. You'll get it. Try a small one first. Good luck/
Old 01-11-2011, 03:36 PM

I also do not use a hoop when I hand quilt. It is much easier for me to get my stiches even with out a hoop. But it does take practise and alot of time. I also love Boo cat,
Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 PM

I hand quilt because I don't have room for a quilting machine.
I use a hoop because that is what I was taught by my grandmother, Mother and 2 aunts. They said it would help keep
it tight.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Many people that I know hand quilt, without hoops, on their laps and it looks fine.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 PM

I don't know a thing about hand quilting but I wanted to say what a beautiful quilt and Boo kitty looks like he has laid claim to it. "Touch my quilt and die human."
Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 PM

I hand quilt almost all my quilts and have had no problems as long as they are well pinned. I use my "underneath" hand to insure I am not quilting bunches into the backing and that I am keeping it smooth. I do not think machine quilting is bad but I love the feel and look of a hand quilted quilt. Machine quilted feel less authentic in a way - almost store bought.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:54 PM

I always hand quilt in my lap---I am short, 5'11'' so I have short arms and have to use an oval hoop instead of round. I have great results but do pin very tight to make sure I do get good results. On the other side, my sister lap quilts without a hoop and gets the same good results. Try both and see what works best for you. One last tip, I always start in the center and work down, think of a sheet of paper folded twice and quilt that area and then fill in the middle working outward. Good luck--