Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines - - >

Singer Sewing Machines - -

Singer Sewing Machines - -

Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 AM

I have a 221 & a 301 Singer & several straight stitch Singer machines which are all great. I think In the late 70's is when Singer stopped making good machines. I would now buy one of the new ones they have now.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 AM

I have worked with Singers since I began to sew about 65 years ago. They have gone from metal to plastic, from basic to computerized. I have the 7470 now and I really like it. I use it mainly to do quilts. I've heard they have gone down in quality which is really sad, but they remain at a price that most of us can afford. I just can't believe the cost of some of these machines. You could buy a car for the price of some of these machines!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM

it seems that the cheaper models prove that you get what you pay for. I have friends with the pricier computerized jobs and they are very happy. I have a basic Singer. I have to get creative sometimes to do what I want, but will wait til I can afford a great machine to replace it.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 AM

I have 2 signers a 221, and a 503A
I got the FW to take with me to guilds bees and what not.. just got the rolling tote I bought for it yesterday, and can fit everthing in it.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM

Have had my 401A since 1959 - gift from parents for graduation from high school, Christmas, Birthday. Quite an investment then but it is my only machine and the best ever. I use is constantly from altering clothes, hemming jeans! and my straight stitching for quilting pieces. Overhauled once because needle shaft shifted (I think due to the button-hole attachment which I don't like - plastic!!).
I faithfully clean, oil and grease as directed. I am the only user of this machine.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 AM

I've been doing all my quilting on a Singer Quantum LE which is now over 20 years old. It works like a charm and I have never had to have anything replaced. I have no complaints about this machine (except for the small harp length, of course!).
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM

I have a 758 touch & sew that I bought new in the mid 70's and except for the fact that the after market bobbins don't wind properly I have never been disappointed with it. The last time it was serviced I was told that I had a good machine - it is old and has been used a lot so sooner or later something is bound to need repaired. Wouldn't consider buying a new one now though. Love the 15 that I picked up recently.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by rivka
I was given a Singer in '97 as a wedding present, by my grandmother-in-law, because "Singer's are the best sewing machine brand!" She, unfortunately, was basing that on her own experience with older machines. The machine she gave me was awful, just awful. I used to think I hated sewing because that machine would never work right and was so frustrating.

I finally replaced it with a Viking, and wow, what a world of difference...
Viking's Forever! :thumbup:
Newer Singer's Never! :thumbdown:
Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM

I bought a Singer Futura 200 about 3 years ago upgraded the software to a 250 2yrs ago and I have to say..that it purrs like a kitten.It never needs oiling, have not had to have it tuned up or nothing.Once every 2 wks I take an vacuum it out.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 AM

Yes in deed, I gave my youngest daughter a Singer about 3-4 years ago for Xmas. I used it last year when I was there. Never again, I had to turn the wheel every time I started. What a piece of junk. I told her to sell it.
My friend just got a feather wight from a neighbor just for fixing her husbands pants. What a deal.