Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines/they are piling up! >

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 PM

I love magazines! Can't resist them. So our house was getting too full of them. I was finally able to let some of them go by giving them to a local nursing home. Haven't done that with quilting magazines yet, but I bet they could use those also. The recreation department can reuse them.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:58 AM

I love magazines and cookbooks. I like nothing better on a rainy Sunday afternoon than to pour myself a glass of wine and get out a stack of magazines/cookbooks and peruse them for hours. I only purchase a magazine if there are more than two items in it that interest me. I usually find that as time goes by I find more items of interest. So for me they are never a waste of time or money. They are enjoyed and used frequently.

P.S. I frequently purchase used magazines at thrift stores.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Power Poster

I never subscribe, but buy second-hand or through charity stores. I just weakened my "no-buying any more policy" and got about ten quilting magazine/books plus a really lovely almost new blouse for seven dollars yesterday! My saving grace is that it supports a really lovely church in our neighbourhood called "St Barnabas"...and I'm not even affiliated with them. They are just "good people".
Old 01-14-2011, 03:17 AM

I had a garage sale and they all went!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 AM

Ladies,
Here is a magazine suggestion. First get a couple of really nice notebooks. Take a look at the index of each magazine and pull out the information that you need or that quilt or project you want to make. Take the cover page, the contents and put the pages you pulled right behind those. The contents and cover page carry the issue, pages and projects that if you wanted to make those later on, you could. This method works great at the office. I put the magazine in the boss's in box he circles the articles he wants to read/keep and I take those out. Let's face it some of that info you have somewhere else already or have enough experience already.

What to do with the extra pages, just put those in your garden and mulch over the top. They will biodegrade but in the mean while keep the weeds from coming up.

There are lot s of places to donate (library) or just post some issues here and sell them.

I love magazines too but can't purchase as many as I would like.

Hoe this helps you all. You are all so kind to me.
DianneR
Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 AM

I have those metal/cardboard/plastic boxs that hold about 25 magazines and they are overrunning my crafting shelves...I like the idea of putting what you want in binders, but I am afraid I would want to keep too many too!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 AM

What a great idea, especially since we are half the year in an RV.
Now if I could shrink my stash and make a note to "just add water" to revive, I would be in heaven.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:45 AM

You could always save the articles you want and still donate the magazines. Dr. offices, hospitals, (such as the VA) most places like that love to get donated magazines. This is what I do with mine.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 AM

I also love the magazines. Sometimes I buy one and look thru and decide I don't like any of their examples and then maybe a month or so later, I love them ! Love cookbooks too, but I have cut down on them. Don't worry about it though, there is always someone worse. And I've seen the tv show and It's not Hoarding ! Right????????
Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 AM

I too had too many magazines and the quilting magazines began to all look alike. Anyway, what I did was get those magazine holders like you can buy at Wal-Mart and I went through the magazines and then put the latest ones of one kind in one of the holders, as many as it would hold. When I got another one of those magazines I would go through the oldest and pitch it or give it away and then put the newest one in the holder. It seemed to work for me.