Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines/they are piling up! >

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:51 AM

Isn't the show Hording scary! My DH and I are both "collectors" and tape the show regularly to watch together. We usually clean a box out or pick up right after and for a few days. It puts everything into perspective for us.
That is one of the stacked magazines, fabric, baskets, books issues. don't want to get that bad.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:51 AM

When I get a few piled up I take them to the local senior center. I've been told there are a lot of ladies who go there and just love to have something to look at and I'm sure they get ideas and copy some of the patterns.

judjo
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Banned

I get about 6, I think. I read, rip out and file instructions for quilts that I think I'll make (if I live to be 200) and pass the magazines on to other quilters.
I have about 12 3-hole punch books: scrap quilts, jelly-rolls, family and friends, baby, holiday, placemats and runners, batiks etc.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle
Sometimes I just wonder what I am thinking....looking at a large stack of magazines all about quilting or gardening. Enjoy reading and looking at the articles and wait for some to arrive in my mailbox. Then they go to a stack near the chair, from there to a stack in the sewing room, from there to a storage container. Sharing with the gals at quilting when the stacks get to high is often done. Now that there are so many on line magazines and the quilting board...I need to go into a 12 step program to stop renewing magazines. What do you do with yours???? Step #1 was to admit I am addicted to these colorful paper temptations.
Had the same problem. Decided I would NEVER make all those quilts. The mags were just so much eye candy. Went thru my copies and copied savers on my printer-copier and donated the rest to the Senior Citizen group after My ASG group went thru them.

My gardening mags are all recirculated at Master Gardener meetings. Don't subscribe anymore cause it's too costly and I couldn't do all that stuff if I lived to 183.

My gardening books
Old 01-14-2011, 06:16 AM

I save mine for a year and then copy all the patterns, articles I want and put them into 3 ring binders. Then I give away the none damaged mags to our local Linus Quilting group of ladies. They enjoy them and they get lots more use. I am cutting back on subscriptions as they are getting too costly and I don't find lots of patterns I like.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 AM

I started out with the cardboard magazine holders, but now I have too many. I thought about cutting out the patterns I like and throwing away the rest of the magazine, but I like ALL of the patterns in ALL of the magazines! What is a quilter to do?!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 AM

I cleaned out my Threads subscription back up because a new sewer put an ad on craigs list. She was a new sewer and a student. We met at my convenience at a local store.
It was a win win for both of us.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 AM

Hello

I am not going to tell you about the boxes of magazines in my sun room! The box is labeled with the issued name and date. I then have each magazine issue in a database which has the name, date and table of contents so that if I am looking for a particular plan, all I have to do is do the search, once I have found the project that I am looking for, I simply go find the box which has that particular magazine and I am all set and ready to go! I only keep the magazines which have projects that I know I will make!

TreeFrog
Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 AM

My local library has a magazine exchange for magazines 6 months or newer....put in what you don't want/take what you like. I know they don't adhere strictly to the rule as I found some five or six-year-old quilting magazines there. So, I'll make a copy of a pattern I like and then take my quilting magazines to that exchange.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle
Sometimes I just wonder what I am thinking....looking at a large stack of magazines all about quilting or gardening. Enjoy reading and looking at the articles and wait for some to arrive in my mailbox. Then they go to a stack near the chair, from there to a stack in the sewing room, from there to a storage container. Sharing with the gals at quilting when the stacks get to high is often done. Now that there are so many on line magazines and the quilting board...I need to go into a 12 step program to stop renewing magazines. What do you do with yours???? Step #1 was to admit I am addicted to these colorful paper temptations.
Find a nearby quilt guild and donate the magazines to their library. What our guild can't use, we put up for sale in the boutique area of our semi-annual quilt show.