Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines/they are piling up! >

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 3TreeFrog
Hello

I am not going to tell you about the boxes of magazines in my sun room! The box is labeled with the issued name and date. I then have each magazine issue in a database which has the name, date and table of contents so that if I am looking for a particular plan, all I have to do is do the search, once I have found the project that I am looking for, I simply go find the box which has that particular magazine and I am all set and ready to go! I only keep the magazines which have projects that I know I will make!
TreeFrog
Oh Treefrog you are my hero!!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 AM

I had to do something with over 20 linear feet of quilting magazines, so I sorted all by magazine name with a MISC pile of special issues and oddball mags. Then I sat down next to my printer/fax/scanner/copier and made a copy of only those patterns and templates (and articles) I really liked ... sorting them into STARS, CHRISTMAS, HALLOWEEN, APPLIQUE, BASKETS, FOUNDATION ... you get the idea. This left the magazines intact; I was able to sell many of the older magazines by lot/bundles (one year of a single magazine's subscription was one lot/bundle). The rest I gave to a local residential organization who is teaching umarried mothers to become self-sufficient; the organzation's residents make crafts and quilts of all kinds and sells them locally, often on consignment, and at local festivals and fairs to raise money for the organization (who splits the proceeds with the maker/resident). I also gave several bundles to my guild's freebie table and to the local library.

Regarding copyright law, I made one copy of what I wanted to keep for myself; I do not share these patterns and do not make additional copies. Copyright law permits this, and courts uphold that the duplication of templates is quite permissible.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 AM

I only subscribe to American Quilter, Quilting Arts and QNM (which I have a lifetime subscription to-) when they were 25 years old they asked anyone who had been a subscriber since issue 1 to line up all their magazines and take a photo of themselves with the magazines. They then announced that the people who did that would get the magazine free for life. Not sure how many people are left that get the magazine from then.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:17 AM

I usually tear out the patterns I like and recycle the rest. I got an iPad for Christmas, though, and so my plan is to go digital as much as possible. No more paper to store, if I can do it.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Trina I did the same thing now have three binders full and have sure used them a lot and still take a couple of mags each time they come due but I have found so many patterns on comp haven't needed as many
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I scan the patterns I want and then take the magazines to the Salvation Army Store. I hear a guild member saying how she found lots of quilting magazines at the thrift store and she bought them all. LOL. I use to give them to the guild white elephant sale but realized every member there could afford to buy all the magazines they wanted brand new so I started donating them to a good cause.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 AM

Hi, I am new to quilting, but I have found that for photos, patterns, ideas, etc that I want to save, I scan them and then save them to a program called Evernote. The program is free for 60 MB each month. If you have more than one computer it will sync between computers, iphones, etc. This way you can keep your information that you want and then throw away the magazines. I do this with recipes, too. It has saved a lot of clutter in my sewing room.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I LOVE quilting magazines, too, and what I did was go through & cut out the patterns & articles I knew I wanted to keep and put them into a sheet protector & then a 3-ring binder. Tossed the rest, which was hard for me but felt great after.

I knew there were a lot of quilts in there that I would never want to attempt to make. Saved a LOT of space. In fact, I just pulled out a really cute miniature quilt pattern last week from my binder. Worked great!

Trina
This is what I am doing, too.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 AM

If you are done with the magizine and don't want to send it to the land fill, visit eBay. People sell one pattern at a time from their old magizines. It would give you money to buy ----- more magizines or fabric.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 AM

There is nothing like curling up with a cool drink an a quilt magazine. When ever I think about making a quilt, I search through my magazines for a new idea. I have friends that call and ask for ideas or instructions. This gives me another reason to review my magazines and find something for them. It feels good to be able to help a friend. I keep them in order of month an publisher. If I watch Fons and Porter, they will tell you the month and year that the project was published. By the way, you can not curl up with your computer.