Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines/they are piling up! >

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM

I also have quit subscribing to them, the prices keep going up and the contents seem to be going down and with the economy the way it is I can't do them any more. I get much more information from this board and from other online ideas.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:17 AM

why toss them after your done taking out the projects you want to do? donate them to other quilters tru classifieds or your local paper..:)
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I LOVE quilting magazines, too, and what I did was go through & cut out the patterns & articles I knew I wanted to keep and put them into a sheet protector & then a 3-ring binder. Tossed the rest, which was hard for me but felt great after.

I knew there were a lot of quilts in there that I would never want to attempt to make. Saved a LOT of space. In fact, I just pulled out a really cute miniature quilt pattern last week from my binder. Worked great!

Trina
Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Take your printer-scanner and copy the ones you want...put them on a CD and store them in a binder with a picture. Maybe this will work to put it on your Nook.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 AM

Thank goodness, I'm not the only one obsessed with quilting magazines! I love them! When at a store magazine rack, I tell myself that if while flipping through the mag. I dont see ONE project that catches my eye, I will put it back on the shelf, and walk away. This rule usually works for me. Another rule is that I NEVER dispose of any mag. with any fall or Christmas projects. Those are mine to lovingly look at time after time, year after year. I got a stack of them out just last week and there were mags from 1996 and one from 1993. They were like visiting old friends. It was very calming to me. Dont feel bad if you have to cut back or dispose of some magazines! Keep those special ones that will allow you to feel like coming home during difficult times.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM

I really enjoy magazines for I can sit down when tired and go through them at my liesure unlike sitting at the computer and reading which makes my neck hurt. A couple years ago I started buying used magazines instead of ordering new ones. I just ordered "Quilt" magazine because they had a very reasonable price for it. I have stacks of the used mags I bought and will probably go through them sometme and offer them to someone else who will enjoy them. I do not like throwing mags out if I know someone else will enjoy them.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:28 AM

I tear out the patterns i want and put them in a notebook. i give the mags. to other quilters or recycle. We are having a mag. swap in my quilt quilt next month.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 PM

I packed mine up by publisher and year and took them to our local library for their yearly sale. Each pack goes quickly for $5 and helps the small library as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I did not renew my subscriptions and told DH not to sign me up either. (He thought he was doing me a favor)

Then I sorted through the magazines - skimming really. If there was a pattern I wanted to keep, I cut it out and put it in a plastic sleeve in a binder.

If there was a lot of stuff to look at, I kept the magazine - but those patterns had to be special.

The rest, I passed on to gals at work.

Now, I scan the magazines in the store on occasion. If something strikes my fancy, I buy it.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 PM

I think anyone who quilts is addicted...Do the same...piles on flr next to chair until I thumb thru them and then I throw them into a bureau which I use just for those....Eventually I was thinking of just pulling things out that I know I'll do and discard...
Old 01-14-2011, 01:56 PM

There's just something about a quilting magazine in hand. I go through my pile of mags at least once a year just to get more inspiration!