Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 AM

I like shops that have lots of samples, kits and the store being very well lit. I get very frustrated when I am in a shop that is dark and hard to see the true colors of the fabric. Good luck in your shop. I also like shops that open by 9 but also stay open until 6 or 7 during the week. I work and can't get there by 4.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I tend to not shop where the people are rude or unfriendly to my DH who will be with me. They need to provide a nice place for him to sit comfortably too, or else I won't stay very long.

I like to see a variety of fabric types, not just the style that the owner "prefers".

I love lots of notions and gadgets- all the lastest with demos on how to use them- but don't beat me over the head with them. If I want, I'll buy it...don't ask me 10 times!

A variety of classses--not just beginner type classes. We who have a little experience under our belts still like to learn and get together too- I'm just NOT going to go to a Turning Twenty class...

My favorite thing is simply the fact that you are open. In small towns..regular hours of any business seem to be a real challenge. If you aren't open regularly- post those hours and then stick to what you post. I personally don't like that businesses are not open on Mondays--why??? Does the $$ you make on Monday not spend as well???

Congrats on your dream and best of luck...I wish you lived in MY town!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:31 AM

I like clerks that have some knowledge of quilting. It is so nice to have a second opinion when trying to pick out fabric. My lqs owner is so good, she has a great eye for color, but some of her employees haven't got a clue.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 AM

An area for kids!!!! Not that I take my boys with me all the time to quilt stores, but it's nice that they put some area for kids. A store that is local has a huge bucket filled with buttons and when kids come in, the shop owner puts some coins in it and tells them to "find the treasure" while mom shops. My boys love it! (they get to keep the treasure as well)
Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 AM

Good lighting!!!!
There is nothing worse than looking at fabric in the dark.
Enough room to get around and not trip over things.
Friendly staff.
Hours that suit the customers. Many of us work until 5 pm. So, at least one day when you are open past that time.
Good luck with your endevor.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 AM

Sample.samples, samples. Also treat everyone with a smile.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 AM

What I like?
Helpful sales staff who know what they're doing but don't hover over you like you're going to steal something.
Introduce a "notion of the week" so we get introduced to new things.
Lots of classes, and not always in the evening please.
New and rotating stock. There is not much more frustrating than seeing the same thing over, and over, and over....
Support your local guild. Either with giveaways or discounts or even assisting in the cost of bringing in speakers.
Good prices for good fabric. If what you order turns out to be inferior, get rid of it, don't sell it to us.
Be accountable and honest.
Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 AM

I was in a shop last year in a different city,most of her fabrics were dark colors,I like brights & mediums. Being with my sister,I said I didn't care for the colors in the store,was over heard by the owner who was very nice she said that she did order to her own taste & she was trying to order brighter colors,So try to have a wide range of colors in your store,good luck in your dream.I will pray for your success.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 AM

Friendly people
Case in Point-My mom and I went to a local store that is for knitters and crocheters,it opened at 10 there were people inside and we waited til 10:05 before they opened the door.We were not greeted,smiled at or anything,we walked around the store talked to eachother for at leat 10 minutes before someone actually came up to us.Was not really impressed,almost left and as we were headed back towards the front the owner asked us how we were what we were interested in,Ive worked in retail all my life since I was 18,i"m now 52 and thats how NOT to treat customers
Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 AM

I like personal service, a smile, having coffee available certainly says " come in and look around". If I have been in yr store numerous time, it is nice if you call me by my first name!
A newsletter is cool! A few classes are always great! I hope you have a wonderful time opening yr store, and if I am in yr area, I would love to stop in!