Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Friendly sales people are a must. As an owner you will get to know the likes and dislikes of your customers and what new things they will be looking for. Customer service is paramount on my list as well as a decent size classroom. My LQS fits this bill except the owners turn their nose up at LAQ brand and sewing machine if it isn't the ones they sell and that annoys me.
I wish you lots of luck!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 AM

Made up samples with a class for each with a time/date/fee note on the sample; and, or

Kits made up of samples on display. I buy those because they are all coordinated for me.

Limit class sizes to 6 or 7 so we can move around.

Free patterns copied from magazines (so we can spend more on the fabric)

Please don't overprice, everyone shops around.

Keep up with current trends.

(we have a shop here where the owner carries only her likes... all dark stuff and no creativity samples, ... they are having a hard time making it and don't want to carry what people want... duh... but they are now venturing into rug hooking. ??? )
Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 AM

I agree with everyone.However more pet peeve is the fabric itself. I have 3 close quilt shops. The people are great, shops are lovely. But.....one has All batiks and Asian fabrics,another country and reproductions, and the last store has 30s and 40s with mainly Thimbleberries type fabrics.I firmly feel there should be something for everyone. In a quilt shop. Stripes and checks are hard to find, Kaffe Fassett and brights, contemporaries are missing. Why do I have to go to five shops to find what I need for ONE quilt?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Wait to open until you're ready to open. A store opened in our town recently and they've started with very little and tell everyone - we're getting that. I don't want to keep going back to find out when they have things.

Is there a local guild? You might want to ask if you can give them a questionnaire to see what the people in the area would like to have in the store.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

A good window! One of the quilt shops I go to is situated where there is no natural light. Difficult to match fabrics. If no window is available, then have an Ott light for customer use. Also, have a variety of fabrics. My favorite shop for classes carries all calico/30's/vintage look. I'm in to contemporary. Still take their technique classes as the skills can be used with any type of quilt, but I usually donate or gift the item made from their kit.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 AM
LMB

I only have one complaint. Employees that know less than I do, but act like they know it all. If you hire someone, make sure they are willing to say " I dont know but I can find out for you." I would rather wait for a good answer than have someone waste my time with a wrong one.
I never met a fabric store I didnt love. lol
Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Number 1 for me is friendliness of staff. Just a quick hi let me know if you need anything. When I first wanted to learn to quilt I went to a LQS. Two employees were on the floor laying out a quilt. They didn't look up or say anything to me. I felt like I was in their way. If I owned a shop the last thing I would want is for customers to feel like they are bothering me.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 AM

The 25 fat quarters for $30 sounds like my favorite shop in Noblesville IN. They are ALWAYS so friendly, pleasant to be around and helpful. I also like the soft music playing as it does quite the inner person so they can think better. I love the clearance areas, loads of samples and plenty of elbow room. The shopping carts are also very helpful. I was at my favorite shop the other day thinking I needed to get a new machine with a stitch regulator, but the lady who sells the machines told me I only needed another bobbin case to solve my problem of long stitches on the back of my projects when doing meandering. This spoke volumes about their honesty to their customers.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Good lighting is essential - natural, if possible.

One shop in my area sells bits and pieces, ends of bolts, by the pound. Quite a hit for those who like to make scrappy quilts.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:18 PM

...the staff needs to be kind to everyone.