Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ohhh! Good Question!
1. Friendliness, down-to-earth people working there that love to help and get enthused over one's projects.
2. It's also nice when someone looks up and smiles at you when you first walk in the door, even if they are busy and cannot get to you right away, they've acknowledge that they've seen you. Bonus points if they look up, smile AND welcome you by name then go back to whatever they're doing.
3. Personally, I like to see a lot of different types of samples, colorways, etc. While Thimbleberries 'country' is a nice look, it gets boring after a while. A nice cross-section of styles, colors, quilts, options hanging on the walls and put on display get my creative 'juices' a going...
4. Sale racks, sale kits, sale things. Give aways. Freebies. Free demos' on how to use notions, etc.
5. A big back room with 8' tables for classes - or for local quilters like me who do not have the space available to spray baste, pin baste or thread baste a large quilt. Nice when I can call ahead, making sure that there's nothing else going on... and can come over and lay things out. Even get some help!
6. Dinner classes....potlucks... slumber parties... quilt-til-you-wilt events. Fun things!
Ditto! I like your avatar
Old 01-16-2011, 04:19 PM

I don't mind paying extra at a quilt shop if I'm made to feel welcome and if I get a hello and a thank you. I try to always be pleasant and appreciate being treated in a friendly way.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Customer Service. Friendly Staff!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:21 PM

For me, it is always about customer service. Ive walked into shops before where there are a bunch of women standing around talking to each other and completely ignoring customers walking into their shop. I've been to one of our shops in a small town up north twice now...I wont go back ever. Very rude to not even acknowledge someones existance. So, with that....good customer service will bring em back every time.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Friendly, helpful staff. Be willing to share ideas & tips without it being in a class & room to move around in to see all the beautiful fabric you will have. Good luck to you
Old 01-16-2011, 04:26 PM

[quote=ShirlinAZ]All of these plus - a straight and generous cut.

AMEN!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:33 PM

Isn't Maggie Valley great? There is or was a steak house that has the best salad dressing, like blue cheese but made with gorgonzola cheese.
Where is Greengold Ga?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:35 PM

Three main things: Dishonesty, overcharging and preferential treatment. A friend was told she needed a major part replacement on her machine and was advised to buy a new machine. I took it to my repair man (who owns my LQS) and he charged $40 because it just needed a lint - clean. He will always get my custom. He has reasonable prices compared to others. In some places, I have found that they tend to treat some customers with distain. Everyone should be treated equally as the dollar that comes from my purse buys the same amount as the one that comes from the PM or the Queen.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
friendly employees, lots of classes, clearance section, fat quarters 25 for $30.00 one of the quilt shops I go to has them on sale the 25th of each month
ditto!!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 PM

Like: Stores that welcome men, and do not assume they are 'running an errand' for someone else but could likely be a quilter or are hoping to become one.