Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 AM

Inspiring samples, customer appreciation days and sales, fat quarters and pre cut selections. Fun pattern books. Helpful employees who will laugh and chat and share with me but not employees who assume I'm quilt impaired because I'm in my 30's :) I personally love it when a store has a pet, like a cat or dog in the shop :)
Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 AM

stencils for hand quilters....I've had a hard time finding those lately..

Willing to cut 1/8th yd fabric if that is all i need. One LQS only cuts 1 yd pieces - even though i may only need 1/8th yd or 1/4 yd. Needless to say, I don't shop there.

Open later than 5. I like to stop on my way home from work and can't do that. I can't think of the times i've settled for something at Joann's instead of the LQS because of the business hours.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 AM

I am a LQS owner and am disappointed by many of the comments. I would love to have sales every week and give freebies and free classes and free demos, etc. Unfortunately, if iI did this, there would be no LQS. We have bills to pay just like any other business ($5 fabric would be great unfortunately, in many cases, that is OUR cost!) Buildings with back rooms for classes, tables, quilt machines, etc. cost lots of money. Teacher sexpect to be paid for their time and effort. It is unrealistic to think that your LQS can open their doors to you for free, you can come in and drink their coffee, eat their food, use their heat (or air conditioning) and lighting while you sew on fabric that you purchased at a mart store and while you share your mart store coupons.

It is reasonable to expect that you will be treated courteously and with respect! Absolutely! Please realize that LQS owners are just trying to keep their business afloat also. Many times they also are juggling families and other responsibilities also. Most people don't want to work 24/7--we have a life to live also. I know you may say, hire someone to work those hours you can't but, again, that is an added expense.

Small businesses are the backbone of our country--please be supportive of those who are just trying to keep our economy running!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM

I love all the suggestions, but one thing I especially like in stores is a table and chairs, or even a sofa, with a lamp so we can browse through books. One store near us, Three Dudes Quilting, is owned and run by 3 men. They have a mini-kitchen where you can make a cup of tea or coffee, plus they have free HOME-MADE COOKIES every day made by one of the "dudes"!!! How welcoming is that! They have a sofa where we can sit and flip through books and that's really nice. Good luck with your shop!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM

Good lighting..please!!!!, Comfy chairs in the classroom, and a nice clean restroom :-D :-D (some shopping trips take alot of time!!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by arlm4
I am a LQS owner and am disappointed by many of the comments. I would love to have sales every week and give freebies and free classes and free demos, etc. Unfortunately, if iI did this, there would be no LQS. We have bills to pay just like any other business ($5 fabric would be great unfortunately, in many cases, that is OUR cost!) Buildings with back rooms for classes, tables, quilt machines, etc. cost lots of money. Teacher sexpect to be paid for their time and effort. It is unrealistic to think that your LQS can open their doors to you for free, you can come in and drink their coffee, eat their food, use their heat (or air conditioning) and lighting while you sew on fabric that you purchased at a mart store and while you share your mart store coupons.

It is reasonable to expect that you will be treated courteously and with respect! Absolutely! Please realize that LQS owners are just trying to keep their business afloat also. Many times they also are juggling families and other responsibilities also. Most people don't want to work 24/7--we have a life to live also. I know you may say, hire someone to work those hours you can't but, again, that is an added expense.

Small businesses are the backbone of our country--please be supportive of those who are just trying to keep our economy running!
I don't own a shop, but do teach in one. I completely understand your comments. I think what many people are saying here is what their dream LQS would look like. Perhaps some of the less expensive or free suggestions would be applicable...things like adding a few chairs, or a lamp instead of all flourescent lighting where the books are. Certainly friendliness and a smile are free! We know it's a difficult time for all LQS and we sincerely appreciate the efforts of shop owners doing their best to stay in business. I encourage all my beginning quilters to shop locally so we don't lose any more of our wonderful LQS.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Gotta add my 2 cents here! My LQS stinks, that is 'cause they brought in old musty dusty junk to decorate with. On top of that there is a built in fish pond that hasn't been cleaned out for a couple of years. Then customers have to climb over bolts stacked on the floor. They ignore what customers request for fabric and notions. Believe me I rarely shop there anymore.
I love shops that are knowledgeable and carry lots of notions, blender fabrics and keep the books/patterns organized. Being a former employee at a quilt shop I know how to pick fabric and calculate yardage required but have come across several places that are pretty weak in experience. Most of all, treat your staff like precious gems, they can be so helpful if you truly let them and return customers know who they want to help them. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM

offer a punch card.... my LQS only gives a discount if you are a member of the local quild. I'm not a member so you can guess how much I like that...lol I love to rack up those punches knowing my next purchase will be X amount off when I fill my card and visit again. :)

Friendly staff would be my next suggestion - seems to be a popular suggestion ;)

Classes are always good too.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM

You're probably tired of all the answers but I have to say I like the unexpected- like Autumn in the spring or spring in the fall! Or beautiful fabrics as a child's quilt or children's fabric as place mats. I hope you understand what I mean!!! Just stitched as examples.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM

Just another idea re: class instructors. I have taught basic quilting classes. Sometimes I did it during my regular working hours, while I was "on the clock". Didn't like doing it that way because I was on someone else's time. I preferred doing it while I was on my own time and I got a percentage of the class fee. I liked the second option better for me and I think it was more advantageous for the shop, too. It brought customers in, they bought fabric and we weren't confined by time constraints. Some people work faster or are more experienced at quilting. You can't make someone feel uncomfortable because they are slower. So if a class is scheduled to run from 1-3, understand that you may be there until 4.

Another suggestion if you decide to sell sewing machines: Have one available so someone could could be working on a project that you sell the pattern for. That always generates sales. I like to sew at the LQS sometimes just for the comradarie. And if their machine is being used they tell me to bring my own and "come on down". :thumbup: