Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM

There are times when I am unsure and I'd like a sales person to actually suggest what would go good together. Knowledgeable is a must. There are so many places in a quilt shop and I guess the store expects me to know where all these little knooks and crannies are. So, please have someone that could lead me to other possible ideas.
Rita
Old 01-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks for asking the question.
1. Be organized, by colors, flannels in one area, seasonal area. Newest quilt line on display.
2. Be clean - can't handle dust, garbage on floor (at 9:00 a.m.)
3. Staff willing and knowledgable.
4. Kits, more the better (all sizes and types)
5. Samples (with fabric and/or kits available)
6. Sales (fabric and notions)

Thanks for letting me share. Good luck on your new endeavor.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by rivka
Friendliness to younger people, or those that you might not expect to be quilters! I hate walking into a quilt store, and being stared at by the older women like I'm some kind of freak.
Amen to that. Just 'cause I'm a bohemian, green, recycler type person, doesn't mean I can't quilt! lol oh... I bet the guys on this thread really relate to that as well. There's one local quilt shoppe to me that seems to only get to know you if you purchase a machine from them. Well, I cannot afford a $8,000 Bernini, nor can I afford $14/yard fabrics all the time. To be fair to them though, they do a lot of charity support/drives, and I like that. If I hear about a sale, where proceeds go to a local charity - I tend to show up. But other than that... no. Pity, they're quite close to me. The place I like to go to is over 30 minutes from my house.

The BEST place I like to go, is in another STATE and I go there when ever I can. They haven't forgotton me, and always have a broad smile and family chit chat when I show up. I feel like part of their family!
I'm in Florida to...I think I have been to that shop...when I wasn't their to buy a machine they became very unhelpful and were cutting down certain customers who shop their. I will travel to a shop thats has friendly people and treats us individuals that do not look like the typical quilter properly.
When taking a class: Not having the instructor tell you that how she would put a sampler block together would look better than how you chose to do it. All the other students in class had blocks exactly like she told them to put them together. I like being different.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by arlm4
I am a LQS owner and am disappointed by many of the comments. I would love to have sales every week and give freebies and free classes and free demos, etc. Unfortunately, if iI did this, there would be no LQS. We have bills to pay just like any other business ($5 fabric would be great unfortunately, in many cases, that is OUR cost!) Buildings with back rooms for classes, tables, quilt machines, etc. cost lots of money. Teacher sexpect to be paid for their time and effort. It is unrealistic to think that your LQS can open their doors to you for free, you can come in and drink their coffee, eat their food, use their heat (or air conditioning) and lighting while you sew on fabric that you purchased at a mart store and while you share your mart store coupons.

It is reasonable to expect that you will be treated courteously and with respect! Absolutely! Please realize that LQS owners are just trying to keep their business afloat also. Many times they also are juggling families and other responsibilities also. Most people don't want to work 24/7--we have a life to live also. I know you may say, hire someone to work those hours you can't but, again, that is an added expense.

Small businesses are the backbone of our country--please be supportive of those who are just trying to keep our economy running!
Thanks. I appreciate this, too.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 PM

You just described "Flying Geese" in Tustin California. They seem to love what they do, and they do it well.

Ohhh! Good Question!
1. Friendliness, down-to-earth people working there that love to help and get enthused over one's projects.
2. It's also nice when someone looks up and smiles at you when you first walk in the door, even if they are busy and cannot get to you right away, they've acknowledge that they've seen you. Bonus points if they look up, smile AND welcome you by name then go back to whatever they're doing.
3. Personally, I like to see a lot of different types of samples, colorways, etc. While Thimbleberries 'country' is a nice look, it gets boring after a while. A nice cross-section of styles, colors, quilts, options hanging on the walls and put on display get my creative 'juices' a going...
4. Sale racks, sale kits, sale things. Give aways. Freebies. Free demos' on how to use notions, etc.
5. A big back room with 8' tables for classes - or for local quilters like me who do not have the space available to spray baste, pin baste or thread baste a large quilt. Nice when I can call ahead, making sure that there's nothing else going on... and can come over and lay things out. Even get some help!
6. Dinner classes....potlucks... slumber parties... quilt-til-you-wilt events. Fun things!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:49 PM

I think you have a great idea. In my small town, we have 2. One is so pricey that I dont go in very often, maybe looking for a change in the shop. They people are helpful. But they have no fabric under $10. I really dont know how they stay in business. The other fabric store, is great. They have a table that has fabric for $2.99 a yard. I love it. They also carry alot of different kinds of fabric.
I wish you all the blessings in the world.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Recognize that men quilt also. I was in a tool place several years ago looking for a router. I have a workshop. I had checked out the whole thing before someone offered to wait on me and of course he said "are you buying something for your husband?" I immediately started asking for odd things that I had seen and he didn't know what or where they were. When I left he told me he'd never make the same mistake again.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 PM

I like a good variety of fabric to choose from. In our area most owners boast that they only offer fabric of their own taste. I think this is a mistake.
I like discounts for loyal patrons, class members and whenever discounts are offered make the policy clear to staff. I hate being made to feel like I am trying to get away with something when I ask for what has been offered. I love lots and lots of made up samples and owners who are happy to help problem solve. I don't expect them to be experts but a willingness to talk things through can be so helpful. Clubs are great and create a feeling of a home away from home. I buy a lot of fabric on my club night. My home shop keeps all of the class tables set up and this helps when picking things out. I buy more when I feel welcome to make piles somewhere. For some reason I just love it when asked "what are you making at the Quilt Store" but not at JoAnn's when they are asking every one of the dozen people in line the same thing and holding up the line! Good luck-I'm sure this will be a wonderful adventure.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:57 PM

Some chairs where tired feet can rest, and maybe a TV with videos of quilting ideas and how-to do it. When the feet feel better
then I could go and get something that was shown on the TV.

And the plastic templates should be closer to the isles and able to be seen from the chairs!!! I can always think of what I want in a template on the way to the LQS but don't remember it again till I'm on my way home.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:07 PM

I haven't read all of the responses, but one of my biggest wishes is that people wouldn't judge you by what you look like or what you are wearing. My DH and i enjoy motorcycle riding, we really like two lane roads in the country, some of my favortie LQS have been found on these rides. Alot of the shops act like they don't even want us in the store much less have to talk to us. Bikers quilt too.

Friendly, not overbearing, employees that don't mind when you ask questions are probably at the top of my list. Ones that really listen to what you have to say. Good selection of fabric in a variety of price ranges, not everyone has the same budget. Also willing to add suggestions to make your projects easier and better. Don't mind if you look for a while.