Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dumb question >

Dumb question

Dumb question

Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I don't fret about it. I use what ever color happens to be on the machine. If the thread runs out I grab whatever thread happens to be closest to me.
My kind of logic! I start with such good intentions but end up doing it this way too. It would help if I didn't jump from one project and then back again. oh well, whatever works and keeps us content right?!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM

I am with the others, I piece with neutral thread. If I am appliqueing or quilting I want the thread as close as possible to the color of the fabric.
Originally Posted by feffertim
I am a fairly new quilter, and I know this might sound dumb, but I can't figure out why people work so hard to get their thread to match their fabric when the stitches are all on the seams on the back and no one can see them. Can anyone explain this to me ?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 PM

There is no such thing as a dumb question..... :)

This is totally awsome. I haven't started cutting my pieces much less started sewing and I've learned much. I found a patteren for coasters. It shows 4 designs and I chose the star.

Thank you sew much for bringing up the subject of thread color. I always thought quilting was just making designs with fabric, put together with batting and backing. Just reading the post I've learned it's more then that. It has a lot to do with the design sewn on top of it all. Does anyone tie thier quilts any more?

Now I know quilting thread must be heavier then regular thread and must be for the top stitching. I also learned that the top stitching is what makes it a quilt. If you have different color fabric how do you match the top stitching thread to the many color fabric?

Once I finish the coasters I will post a photo so you pro's can tell me how I did. I'm surprised how much I've learned already from this site and haven't even gotten started yet.

Thank you ALL so much.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 PM

I am a fairly new quilter, and I know this might sound dumb, but I can't figure out why people work so hard to get their thread to match their fabric when the stitches are all on the seams on the back and no one can see them. Can anyone explain this to me ?
No such thing as a dumb question!!!! NEVER.

I use a light gray, ecru or white for piecing. It doesn't usually show, and if by chance it did, I use a magic marker of the appropriate color to touch it up. Instand magic. :thumbup:
Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 AM

I use all white when sewing the quilt top. Like you said it doesn't show with all the seams in the back.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I don't. I piece with a neutral thread. I only match when I applique or quilt.
Same here!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 AM

When I first went out with my husband (donkey years ago :-D ) I noticed he had bits and pieces of mismatched coloured thread on his clothes. Sometimes it was on a button, and sometimes on a hem which had become loose. He told me it was his old nanny who had mended his clothes. It showed me that here was someone who was not fussy about his clothes. He still isn't but I am. I remember removing the coloured threads and replacing them with matching ones! Lol!
But with my quilting, I make do with whatever colour is nearest in shade.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:04 AM

When I first started quilting I matched thread and actually did for about 2 years until I heard it said that go with neutral color like light gray works for lots or light tannish. I will do white on white and black on black. But now I also have tons of colors that don't use so much, other than for quilting the final. oh yeah and I do match the binding thread when I hand stitch it over.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 AM

lyncat, i love your car quilt, so nice for a young boy. could i buy the pattern and where is it available. thank you [email protected]
Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 AM

When I piece, I usually use a neutral or a white, and truthfully, whatever bobbins are wound. When I quilt, that's another story!