Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-18-2011, 04:06 AM

Is this name someone you can pass along to someone needing quilt tops done???Have been tying for many years and would like a more finished look...I live in southeast Mi. so would be convenient ...thanks l
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 AM
BMP

So far I send mine out, the gal who does them does a wnderful job and she just started her own buisness she is also a friend.

I dont mind paying for them to get done. To me its the finishing detail and I want it to be well done. I consider it a part of the cost of quilting just like nice fabric, patterns and thread.
I dont churn out quilts very fast so its not as pricey as I might imagine it could be for someone who makes alot of quilts often.

I may try to FMQ on something small like a topper or runner at some point but for now I will continue to take them to her.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I just wonder if more people send there quilts out than those that quilt themselves! I just can't send mine out, but I maybe I am missing something! So I am curious as to why!
I enjoy making quilts and it gives me great pleasure to see a totally finished product. For coverlets, I tie them or shadow quilt them by hand, but when it comes to a large quilt, I prefer to have them done professionally. For one thing, I have arthritis in my fingers and it hurts! Secondly, all the work I have done, I couldn't. much less wouldn't, put my work on my everyday, ordinary sewing machine from Target. I do not have the know-how, I do not have the room, and I do not have a long arm. It is so worth it to me to have someone I trust finish a prized possession that I made. We do not have places to take lessons in long arm close by and so that is out of the question. I do have a woman who does my quilting for me. I trust her work and her expertise. I don't need any more than that! They, too, are making a living and I would just as soon help them - they are trained and know what they are doing. Edie
Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I do all of mine myself, including my second quilt which was king sized on a cheap mechanical Brother with a small area for quilting. I just kept changing it's position. I like knowing that I am responsible for my quilts, from start to finish. Good or bad. I know there are reasons for sending out, and I appreciate all of them. And who knows, it could be that one day I'll do it too, but right now, I'm doing it all.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 AM

I do all mine on my machine, but then I have not made anything larger then a twin size. If I ever do a queen or king size I would need to find a LA.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 AM

I would love to be able to send mine out for professional quilting, but I simply cannot afford it. So I make do with my little brother and my limited skills in FMQ.

Roxanne
Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 AM

I hand quilt my own. I like to quilt. I like to have something to sew own at night when watching TV. Sewing on the machine hurts my back. I turn into the mad hatter on the sewing machine trying to go as fast as I can. If I sew by hand life is calm and I enjoy it so much more. I piece and sew by hand. It is a joy!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 AM

I send my quilts to a longarm quilter. She does custom quilting and my quilts look Great when I pick them up. If I make a small crib/lap quilt for charity I will quilt it myself. I don't think
I could get the same quilaity quilting from quilting on my machine as I can get from a longarm quilter. I enjoy the piecing of a quilt top but don' like doing the quilting.
Theres day/night difference in quilting a quilt on a sewing machine compared to quilting on a longarm.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 AM

I do my own quilting, because I simply can't afford to send them out to have them done. However, I could either quilt by hand, or do it on my machine. There are advantages to both....
Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 AM

I do longarm quilting for others, and I have never yet make fun of other's piecing . We longarmer's are looking for wonderful ways to make your quilt top look beautiful. Don't be shy about sending them out to be quilted, it will get done by you or after you gone your relatives will send it out anyway. I have done some for men because their wife(deceased) wanted to do it herself.
Ginnie