Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 AM

I can't afford having my quilts sent out to have them quilted. I do simple quilting by machine and lately have gotten into hand stitching and find it very relaxing.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 AM

I have done quite a few of my own quilts, up to king size. I do mostly SID or diagonal lines. I tried FMQ and even though I practiced quite a bit, I just didn't like the looks of mine. After I have spent all the time and money I want the quilt to look as good as possible, so if it's a big quilt or one that is a special gift, that means my LA will do it.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:56 AM

I did send mine out until I got my own Gammill..most of my quilts get used so I wanted a nice over all pattern-
Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 AM

I send mine out when I have big ones to do because I can't do it well without bunches in back and foldovers. When something is big and going out to someone else, I save up till I have the money or if it just needs rambling, I go to the quilt shop and do it myself for $20 an hour. It takes about two hours to do a big one, so that's pretty fair. I sure wish I COULD do more of my own, but I reserve that for small things.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 AM

I send mine out because: About six/seven years ago I had a stroke. I don't have the hand eye coordination to do free motion. I have tried stenciling in my embroidery machine on small projects and it works. But big projects - there are pros who know the right design to put on my lovely quilts! A BIG Thanks to those you do wonderful work.

Pat in Colorado
Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 AM

I do my mine myself or my sister has a LQS near her in NJ that rents LA time. She will do them there for me. I just pay for the rental. At this point I just can't justify the cost of paying someone to quilt for me. It's not a option. I've got pretty good at SID and using stencils for my design work. My second hand Pfaff is a workhorse. Best purchase I ever made.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 AM

I do my own. My skill isn't as good as I would like for putting quilts together and I have a short arm with frame also, so I do all my own until my skill gets better and I can afford a tin lizzie and then I probably will still do my own....I like the idea the whole quilt is done by me..
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 AM

I do my own quilting.
The reasons are:
1. I want to have the control of the quilting.
2. I want to learn FMQ and get better at it.
3. I don't have money in my budget to pay someone.
I have done a king size quilt on my home sewing machine. (Maybe sheer determination.)
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 AM

I take mine to my local LA quilter, but our LQS also has a machine I can rent if I want to do it myself. I am fairly new to quilting and don't want to mess up my work. I do want to learn FMQ though and am planning to start in the next month or so. I have some scrap pieces to get started on!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 AM

i do not send mine out frankly because i cannot afford it. i scrape by as it is. iknow the work they do is spectacular and i wish i could maybe one day i can afford it but not now.