Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Banned

It's my personal preference to quilt all my own quilts. It may not be as fancy, elaborate or even as beautiful as if I'd sent it out, but it's my work from start to finish and that's very important to me. BUT . . . I believe it's a personal choice that each of us makes for a variety of reasons and I respect everyone's choice on this subject. :)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
It's my personal preference to quilt all my own quilts. It may not be as fancy, elaborate or even as beautiful as if I'd sent it out, but it's my work from start to finish and that's very important to me. BUT . . . I believe it's a personal choice that each of us makes for a variety of reasons and I respect everyone's choice on this subject. :)
You said better than I did, Suzanne.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cyn
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I haven't. Kind of need to actually make the quilts I have ideas for before I can think of asking a long arm quilter (I'm getting there though!) But honestly...I'm not sure how willing I'd be to bring one in. I still consider myself inexperianced and I would wonder if the LA quilter would find my quilting skills laughable.
This is my fear also- someone laughing at my work;)
No, we LAers don't laugh! WE were beginners at one point, too.

If you send me a quilt with 'issues', I'll quilt it, AND help you improve your skills. I quilted my own quilts early on, later sending to a LAer. It wasn't until I had that other set of eyes looking at my quilts did I improve. I'm so grateful for the help give me that I try to pass that on to new quilters.

Many of the ladies that send me quilts are into the piecing part of making a quilt. They love picking out the fabrics and design. Many can't physically wrestle with a large quilt under a throat of their domestic machines. I even attach the bindings for them and trim the quilts so, again, they don't have to wrestle with a quilt. I've become good friends with many of my customers and THAT is the best part of LA quilting for others!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I just wonder if more people send there quilts out than those that quilt themselves! I just can't send mine out, but I maybe I am missing something! So I am curious as to why!
i do my own. can't afford to send them out, and i want everything to be done by me. i only hand quilt and am not very good at that!!! i just cannot get my mind wrapped free motion on my machine. tried it once and had to take my machine apart to get my feeddogs back up.(cheap machine) so i will hand quilt as long as i can, or as long as the good Lord wii allow!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Sometimes I wish I could, like when I'm quilting a very large one. But I cannot afford to send them out or buy a long arm. I just wrestle the quilts under my domestic machine.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vickymomof6
If it's a real nice quilt I sent it out to be hand quilted by a friend of mine. I'll go for a day and help on it but I don't have the time or the space to hand quilt. I do some by Stitch in the Ditch method and some I tie. I do not do FM quilting because I just can not for the life of me "get it."

Vicky
me either!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 AM
mim

I have always hand quilted and love doing so. However, as I find that I want to make more designs and quilts, I am rethinking that. Charismah didn't "spoil" a quilt because of going wild on the quilting on my baby quilt. So in the future, I will do both, I think.

My avatar is still being hand quilted -- 2 winters and I don't even work any more. On the other hand, it sat on my closet shelf for 10 years before I got it out to put on the final borders and bind it.

However a new husband does take up time. LOL

Mim

Originally Posted by deedum
I just wonder if more people send there quilts out than those that quilt themselves! I just can't send mine out, but I maybe I am missing something! So I am curious as to why!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 AM

I do my own, have been blessed with a LAQ, so I am able to do my own and others as well!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

It's a very personal preference. Some people don't enjoy the quilting activity and don't mind sending theirs out. From the very beginning I wanted to make the quilt completely, including quilting it. I did all my quilting on my DSM, quilting large quilts in sections, until I got a longarm.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM

I send large quilts out. I thought this might spoil my feeling of accomplishment, but it hasn't. I always credit the quilter on my labels and in my quilt journal, and I think of it as a team effort. After all, my grandmother sat around a quilt frame with the ladies from church, and they quilted one another's quilts. It's no different in my mind. I FMQ smaller quilts, and, if i think it will improve the quilt, i hand tie some of the larger ones. I've also used fancy stitches on my sewing machine, which can be very effective, and i've machine embroidered quilt designs onto them as well. There are lots of alternatives to hand quilting, and I like them all. I do whatever I think will make the best quilt--and I base my decision on my personal preference--no one else's.