Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can there be too much quilting on a top? >

Can there be too much quilting on a top?

Can there be too much quilting on a top?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:21 PM

Too much is too much. I like intricate quilting but not to the point that it overcomes the top itself. If you want to do that do a whole cloth quilt.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 PM

I agree with Qbee. It really depends on what the quilt will be used for. If you are entering it in a show to be judged, they seem to like more quilting, even if it makes it stiff. However, if it will be used as a comfy quilt on a bed or a lap quilt, etc., then less quilting is better, as it makes it soft and warm, but still hold the batt from shifting. I do agree with you that a LOT of close quilting makes the quilt stiff and I'm not a fan of that.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Yes it is quilted to death but I want to impress the Judges and the others that I can be taken as a serious longarmer. .
I just have to ask, is the quilt being judged on the quilting or on the QUILT?
one of the quandaries of modern quilting world. new categories need to be created to give credit to both the seamtress & the LA quilter. equally, I think, if the quilting plays such a significant part to the overall effect. I think so many of them are works of art & not "quilts". there are some beautiful creations out there !
Old 01-18-2011, 04:32 PM

I do my own quilting. For myself I like a minium of quilting. But I am so glad that not everyone like the same things I do. I am glad that each of us can be unique in what we do and like. I do not plan to enter my quilts in a judging show bc I like to be me and not quilt to please a judge.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM

ditto I agree...........
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Any quilt I make for the bedroom I quilt it heavily ( just meander or spirals or such. I do this because our dogs sleep on the bed and I have found if it is heavily quilted they don't seem to tear them up
Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I like to go no less than 2" apart and maybe even 3. I like them soft and bendy.
I think the 'soft and bendy' result, is why I prefer to tie my quilts. I have been experimenting with machine quilting, and I am just not happy with my results. I shake too much.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
.not to mention that all the quilting compromises the fabrics longevity. Used to be that we all understood that if you use poly or rayon thread on cotton fabric it WILL cut through the cotton in time..th
I guess it's all a matter of taste. Check out the book "Quilting makes the Quilt". It's a good thing we don't all like the same thing.

BTW, I've had several textile experts tell me, and read in different sources, that the above statement is NOT true, that it is a self-perpetuating Old Wives Tale along the lines of "You can't go swimming while having your period" and "Cats will suffocate a newborn".
Old 01-18-2011, 05:40 PM

I know I have said this before. After I work for weeks on a quilt. I don't expect the LAQ to get the credit on my work. I am also a LAQ and I just do freehand and simple. I like for my quilting to disappear into the quilt and just give it the extra finish.

The object is the quilt and the quilting should only enhance the main subject. All you hard work is lost with all that heavy quilting.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:28 PM

I think most longarm quilting is too much. I guess if I could do that freemotion I would want to just keep on quilting. But too much does make the quilt stiff, even though the quilting is beautifully done. But sometimes I think the machine quilting takes away from the patchwork.