Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much is too much to pay someone to do long arm quilting? >

How much is too much to pay someone to do long arm quilting?

How much is too much to pay someone to do long arm quilting?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 AM

I have a quilt that is smaller than a King size, and want to pay someone to quilt it for me. I am providing the quilt top and they would provide the batting, thread and backing. Is $225 too much for this? I do know how much time it takes to machine quilt a small quilt on my sewing machine, but this quilt is just too big for me to handle.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by arbed31
I have a quilt that is smaller than a King size, and want to pay someone to quilt it for me. I am providing the quilt top and they would provide the batting, thread and backing. Is $225 too much for this? I do know how much time it takes to machine quilt a small quilt on my sewing machine, but this quilt is just too big for me to handle.

Thanks
I don't know what the going rates are, but backing and batting will run me an average of $50. Thread can be another 10-20 bucks. So the quilting will run $150 to 175. The question is, "Is it worth that to you?"

I do all my machine quilting on a home sewing machine. Considering the time it takes, I don't think the price is out of line.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 AM

A king size quilt...........the batting and backing would cost me more than $50.00!! Thread $10-12 sounds right..... I think $225. is good IF it's a simple meandering design. If you want fancy details, then more.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:08 AM

I would say if batting and backing are included and the quilt is say queen size, that price actually sounds reasonable. Machine quilting takes a good 5-6 hours depending on the design you pick, plus time to load and unload the quilt. The machine is quite expensive, and certainly takes a lot of training and practice for the machine quilter so their specialized services aren't going to be cheap. If you feel it is too much for you to pay, maybe you could talk to them about a simpler design that could cost a little less? But like I said the price you said seems fair to all the price quotes I have ever seen for machine quilitng.

Rachel
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Oh I also wanted to say most machine quilters change by the square inch. Anywhere from .015 for a really simple design up to .15 for a much more involved design. These quotes DO NOT include batting and backing. That might help you decide better if the price is good based on the design you are getting and the size of your quilt.

Rachel
Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 AM

I pay 1.5 cents per square inch for free motion quilting. Flowers or other designs go up from there to 2 to 3 cents per square inch. I provide the batting and backing. I don't think being charged $225 is outrageous at all considering what is being provided for you. Sounds like a good deal to me as I pay a lot more than $50 for backing and the batting is usually at least $25.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I paid over $225 about 6 years ago to have one of the last quilt tops my Mom made quilted. I provided the top only. So, this much time later, I think this would be a good price. It is a little hard to say for sure without seeing the top, knowing what type of quilting pattern is to be used(panto/computer/free motion etc...), type of bat, type of thread etc...
Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 AM

FYI I shop the sales, so I almost always buy both backing and batting 40 to 50% off. Other wise, it would be a lot more.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to send it off to be quilted, it will be part of my birthday present to myself.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-93980.jpe   attachment-94049.jpe  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 AM

The blue and brown are actually much lighter than the pictures.