Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sheets for Backing >

Sheets for Backing

Sheets for Backing

Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 PM

What I have read that has always kept me away from sheets was regarding the sheet's tight weave. Apparently since the weave is so tight your machine needle could actually be puncturing the threads and breaking them instead of sliding between the threads like on quilting fabric. I don't know this to be fact so don't quote me on it, but the thought of it scares me enough that I just buy muslin for backing on quilts that are okay with a plain back.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM

So have I... They do great!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
What I have read that has always kept me away from sheets was regarding the sheet's tight weave. Apparently since the weave is so tight your machine needle could actually be puncturing the threads and breaking them instead of sliding between the threads like on quilting fabric. I don't know this to be fact so don't quote me on it, but the thought of it scares me enough that I just buy muslin for backing on quilts that are okay with a plain back.
thats what i have heard also but a lot on here don't feel that way. Guess i will have to just try it for my self.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 PM

I do had stitching and quilting and use sheets most of the time. I personally have yet to see any damage done to the fabric. Why not try making a small wall topper with a sheet and see how you like it.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
The reason I use the sheets is this: Look at your sheets the Tops and Bottoms are hemmed when you buy them and if you
ever get the chance to take a look at some sheets even as for back as the 60's are beyond you will never see any of them frayed at the hem 's where they where sewn by a needle, they
might fray from allot of use at the fold line but never at the actual
sewing lines where the needle went thought the fabric of the sheets. So this tells me that any needle I use to go through them is not going to harm that sheet are my quilt as a whole.
The LQS. well tell you it will because they want to gain the sale of the wide fabric at a wide price, thats why there in
business to make money, not agree that buying the sheets will
do you just fine instead.Just my opinion :-D
Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 PM

I have found in the past that some sheets can be hard to hand quilt. I'm sort of picky. I use cotton with cotton and blends with blended fabric. Haven't had any troube with one shrinking more than the other that way.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 AM

BAEB I WAS THINKING ABOUT TRYING MY HAND AT IT BUT WAS NOT SURE IF I COULD MASTER IT
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rymer
could some of you post some pics of your quilts with sheets as backing? I am not sure i've seen this and would like to see what it looks like. sounds like it'd be a much cheaper way to back quilts! I think a flannel sheet would be so cozy to use! thanks!!
I used a bed sheet on the back of this desert quilt for a little boy, it turned out great. I prewashed all fabrics and washed again when finished. It quilted on my machine without a hitch. I will be doing it again when the quilt is right for it.

Back of quilt (sheet used)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164951[/ATTACH]

Front, it crinkled good with the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164952[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-164946.jpe
Views:	9
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	164951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-164947.jpe
Views:	12
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	164952  
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 AM

I've never had any problem using blended fabric sheets for backing. They do stay nice and smooth. Even my grandmother used them, as well as my Mom.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. Next quilt I make I will be using a sheet instead of fabric. I just paid $40 for the backing of a quilt that I am about to hand quilt.