Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
How I center my fabric on my embroidery hoop >

How I center my fabric on my embroidery hoop

How I center my fabric on my embroidery hoop

Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 PM

Carol,
I use a address label to center my designs. I make a cross mark on it and then I put it on a t-shirt lets say. I then hang the shirt to see if it looks crooked. And then when I think it looks good, I take it to the emb. machine and stitch it out making sure the cross mark is in the center of the design. A cross mark is drawing a line down the middle and then down the center. I hope I've helped. Connie
Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by huggabug123
A quick question as I am fairly new to embroidery by machine...How do you know where to put the center of the X in the hoop to begin with? I tried this with my machine only find that it didn't matter where I put the center of the X because my machine moves the hoop to where ever it decides it needs to be and then it sews on the design. I put the center of the X right in the very center of the hoop each time and find that the design ends up being off from center. I am currently working on little pillows for the girls in my daughter's class room as a Valentine gift for them. I thought it would be a great way to try and figure out this machine ~~ same design made 12 times. None have been in the area I need them to be. One thing I am sure of, this machine has a mind of it's own and I need to make sure that I leave a lot of extra fabric on the outside edges to ensure that I can complete the project I want to create. It's got to be the machine that isn't right, right? :0) Any other hints or tips you would like to share would be greatly appreciated by this newbie. Thanks for sharing.......Carol
If I am starting from scratch, I will make my fabric larger then I need and after the design is stitched, I measure the center then cut my fabric to size.

Otherwise, check your machine setting by your manual. It will tell you how to do that. When stitching a design, it normally doesn't start in the center of the design anyway.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amorerm
Thank you for this. I have a machine and trying to learn. I just have to add..... :D I love your technical speak...."Then lay your plastic thingy..." HeHeHe!!!!!!!!!
:lol: I had a memory lapse (?) there and forgot it was called a template.

My way may not be the "correct" way, but it works for me! :D
Old 01-20-2011, 05:01 PM

duh you do make it look easy thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM

what kind of machine do you have? I have a Janome and if you do, you can get a clothsetter that will take you to the center every time. The design doesn't actually start in the center. It starts with wherever the digitizer decided it would start out with.I know it's hard to figure all this out when you first start learning. I had to figure it all out by myself as I had no one to teach me. Do you have a book with your machine? Connie
Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM

I'm new to emb too and I must say that dadgum machine scares me. I just don't understand it. I bought it used and although I have the manual etc. I just don't get it. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by WVNana
I'm new to emb too and I must say that dadgum machine scares me. I just don't understand it. I bought it used and although I have the manual etc. I just don't get it. Any suggestions? Thanks
You've just got to keep practising. Make little designs that you can eventually incorporate into a quilt. That's the only way you will learn. I started machine embroidery back before there were embroidery machines. I took designs from coloring books and used my fancy stitches and appliqued designs. We didn't even have stitch witchery back then. Now I can digitize my own if I want. I have the Viking Designer Diamond that I connect to my computer and can do all sorts of design changes on it. I have a ball (when I have time) :roll: :lol:
Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Yes, do save your good practice stitch outs and remember to do a practice BEFORE you stitch the design on the real thing.

Look what I made from some of mine. It made a great gift!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-164680.jpe
Views:	822
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	164685  
Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the support guys. Dawn that quilt is gorgeous!
:thumbup:
Old 01-21-2011, 05:30 AM

I have the Designer Diamond and can not figure out how to digitize. I met a lady that embroidered some lacey
squares and added some small circles by digitizing. I was
told it was not easy. She used the Precious Crochet #217,
I have it also. Can you help me? And I'm also learning so
much. Thanks so much, Marie