Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics >

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

Old 01-21-2011, 05:24 PM

I noticed lately that the renewal forms are rewritten to say you have to respond to DECLINE by a certain date. If you don't then you are automatically renewed.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:31 PM

well I had their envelope sitting here ready to mail....for several days now I just kept forgetting it. If they do business that way I don't want their magazine! Tore it up and put it in the trash. Thanks for saving me a headache next year!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 PM

I am sorry to say but many compainies do this. My husband and I were very upset with these letter. Every one was on the mark who said that you must send a written cancel note and also return all those nasty letters in there prepaid envelopes.
I hope that we could all be of some comfort to you.
This site has been very helpful. It is good to know that you are not alone . christina B
Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

When any or and all of my magazines run out I will not be renewing them, I don't think it is legal to automatically renew them. I would treat them as a gift. I no longer take the time to read them and hate the clutter of them.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:24 PM

I usually write on the last invoice no thank you in large letters and send it back to them.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 PM

This is why I chose NOT to renew my subscriptions this year.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM

tell them you are putting them on your "bad magazine" list.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 PM

One thing about this that surprises me is that I would think magazine subscription (or in this particular case, quilt magazines) and sales must be in a decline due to the vast amount of information on the Internet. Seems to me like that would call for better customer services rather than what lots of us are receiving from them. I decided last year that I was not going to renew any subscriptions mostly because I cannot possibly live long enough to make all the quilts I have patterns for right now. If there is anything I do want I will be looking for it online or on the QB and my guess is I would be able to find it without buying an individual copy or subscribing to a magazine.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by wesing
Almost every magazine we have subscribed to in the last several years has been obnoxious about renewing. Most of them start sending renewal notices almost as soon as the first issue of the subscription is mailed out. Nothing on the renewal notices gives you a clue when your subscription really expires. I bet if you didn't pay attention they would let you renew into the next millenium. If you want to subscribe to any magazine, you need to keep track of what you paid and when you're paid through.

Sorry you had this happen; try to enjoy the battle.

I have had the same experience with getting renewal notices almost immediately after starting a subscription. I also notice that all the quilting magazines seem to have the same subscription service. I almost fell into their trap and renewed until I noticed a little thing on my address label on the magazine. It said M/J 11 - in other words my subscription was good through the May/June issue of 2011. I have just about decided that I am going to cancel my 3 quilting magazine subscriptions rather than be hasseled constantly about renewals!
Darren
Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 AM

I've had this happen with other magazines. And you're right - it makes the blood boil. Another thing that happens is that magazines send renewal notices months (even years) before the subscription runs out. I've resorted to a list of all publications I get with dates of renewal and length of subscription.