Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Warning:  Magazine subscription renewal scams >

Warning: Magazine subscription renewal scams

Warning: Magazine subscription renewal scams

Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM

Default Warning: Magazine subscription renewal scams

Like most of you, I subscribe to several quilting magazines. For the past couple of years I've been receiving renewal notices from something called "Magazine Billing Services." I started receiving renewal notices from this Maganize Billing Serivces, but ignored them because it was no where near the time to expect a renewal notices.

I got another one today. The amount of money they want is at least double what I originally paid. Finally, the light bulb went off to check the internet to see if this outfit was legit. THEY ARE NOT!! It is a scam that has apparently been going on for quite some time.

So, please be leary of any renewal notices that ARE NOT from the actual magazine itself. I really do not understand why these outfits cannot be shut down because this is SO illegal. My rant for today. I apologize if this has been discussed before (I haven't been on the Board very much lately), but I just felt it was too important not to bring it to your attention. And new people join this Board every day who may have missed previous discussions on this.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM

I am so glad that you posted this - I did fall for it - thank you for alerting us - now I will let the Attorney General know that I was sent these notices - I did pay the bill - I can't believe I fell for it - I really thought I was smarter than that. Now I know.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:25 PM

I get them about 3-4 times a year, even mags that I do not subscribe to.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
I am so glad that you posted this - I did fall for it - thank you for alerting us - now I will let the Attorney General know that I was sent these notices - I did pay the bill - I can't believe I fell for it - I really thought I was smarter than that. Now I know.
They look so real any more that it is hard to tell the scams! I almost got hit big time with someone phishing around for my best buy account...easy to do!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Oh MY - thank you so much for posting this. I don't think that this has been discussed on here before!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the alert. I got a renewal notice for a different type magazine and it was a scam also. I never subscribed to it. When I do subscribe to a magazine, I do it online and put it into a sidebar folder under subscriptions. I can always check there. I hate getting magazines in the mail when I can read them online and don't have to recycle them. Always good to send a courtesy reminder. We all appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I got one recently and I've not had magazines for years. The last was McCalls and they had me down for two accounts. I'd paid them and they were threatening collection agency for one of the accounts that I didn't know about. I certainly wasn't getting two magazines!! they corrected things and I cancelled and got money back. Never got another subscription since then.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Thank you for the warning! I will check my pending mail this evening...
Old 06-24-2013, 04:55 PM

I appreciate the "heads up " on this one ! I will also pass this info on to my Mom who can can taken by what appears to be a real bill or renewal notice. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 PM

I got a call to renew a quilting magazine that I stopped a year or more ago. Me told them to send me a paper bill and I would send it, no intention. They said to make sure to send them the money, I played along and said okay. The statement came and went directly to the shredder.
D