Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics >

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 AM

Don't you just love automation. Suppose to make everything easier, well nothing is better than talking to a real human.
Put back real people to create jobs and so many of these mistakes will not happen.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:28 AM

I hate it when a magazine is no longer being published and they send you (their choice) another in its place with the intention of having you accept and pay for the subscription. I had subscribed to a number of mags from the same company and just received another of their magazines with an invoice for a year's subscription. I just black out my address, point a large arrow towards the return address, and write Return to Sender (or RTS will do - the PO understands what you mean). I find that they all have essentially the same quilt patterns, only in different color combos. If I want to find something different, I usually go to online quilting patterns.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Most magazines belong to a corporation. Their subscription is handled by a different company. As an example Quilter's Newsletters is written (published) in Golden, Colorado. Their renewal office is in Palm Coast, Florida. They now belong to CK Media.You can always find those informations in an inset at the beginning of the magazine.

I would deal with the Florida office to subscribe, renew or cancel the magazine.If I am not satisfied or have problems with them, I would let the Editor in Colorado know. It is a case of the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:40 AM

Another magazine doing something similiar is the cooking magazines put out by Reiman publications. They sent a "double issue" of Simple and Delicious magazine and Taste of Home and included an insert with all the other junk normally enclosed that stated that since this was a "double issue" they were reducing my subscription accordingly. I had actually thrown away the insert notifying me that they were going to short my subscription by one issue and only found it when the trashed tipped over. I am sure many other subscribers missed this. I cancelled all my subscriptions with them. I did not feel like continually checking up on my 4 magazine subscriptions with them to make sure it did not happen again.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:40 AM

Not almost sounds like a scam to me.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 AM

Another clever little thing that mags do (I did not read all of the responses yet, just page 1 & 2 so far, so I hope this has not been mentioned already. Sorry if it has):
Years ago I went with the 3 year subscription option, as I liked the initial mag enough to commit to it and save "a few bucks", and also not have to hassle with re-subscribing. "MY choice" .
........However,,,,,,,,,,,,within 8 months, I was already getting notices to renew, and that stated that the mag subscription was expiring soon (Perhaps they figure you will have forgotten having prepaid 3 years and just send more $'s). I have never done that again and I am not big on mag subscriptions, anyway. If they are not "exceptional", I don't waste my time. There is better info on this board, than in most redundant mags, anyway.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:45 AM

Just try getting rid of the Readers Diget!!!
For years we got notices to renew, sent some back saying, no thanks, quit sending notices, been over 15 years and we still get a renewal notice now and then.
The garbage is full of unwanted mail, fill it up, keeps the post office in business carting advertising and political propaganda.

Carol J.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 AM

that is so strange...I have let 2 mag lapse and kept getting renewals but No magazines and eventually the notices just stopped...never a notice that I was going to be put in collection LOL...so weird
Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 AM

You rock, Eddie!

Thank you so very much! I was considering subscribing to that magazine (local school is doing a magazine fund-raiser drive), Instead I'll give the school a donation, and stick to this site! I find much more helpful info, and pictures of breathtaking quilts on the Quilting Board than in any magazine. :)
Old 01-22-2011, 06:08 AM

I user to subscribe to 4 quilt magazines but I have stop them all because of the thousand of reminders they send all year. Most of my magazines I renew for 2 years so I didn't have to get the reminders but they still come. Now I only have one magazine and I can go to the bookstore at my leisure and check out new issues. I wish my coupons to purchase magazines I want.