Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics >

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

Old 01-22-2011, 04:41 PM

Dump the magazines. My bookcase looks like I'm a quilting expert. I am good reader. I have an aquaintance who reads a lot of mags and watches a lot of quilting shows. Trouble is, she spouts their advice as though it's her own. She and I need to spend more time stitch'n!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 PM

Something similar yet different has happened to me ... I got a quilt dvd in the mail to watch, purchase or return. I played it but didn't want it.

Honestly I don't know if it is something that I clicked 'try this' on an email or website or if they sent it solicited cuz I'm on some 'list'

Now they keep sending me mail to pay or return, and if I don't want it to put it in the enclosed envelope ...guess what? No envelope.

I know years ago there was a mail policy that if you received something in the mail that you didn't ask for / order, you could keep it. Now with computers, etc, I don't know if I said I'd look at it ... in either case, I want to return it.

I'll scour my sewing room to see if that 'envelope' was in the original mailing but it is like looking for a needle in a ...well a room full of fabric, LOL. I know I know, I could call them and tell them to send me that special envelope.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM

What I hate most of all is you prescribe to a magazine and before you receive the first issue they send you a renewal reminder. UGH!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Thank for telling us, I was thinking of getting that magazine but not now.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I subscribed to "Quilt" magazine back in January 2010 for one year, and decided to let the subscription lapse when it came up for renewal. They sent several reminders to renew, etc., all of which I ignored.

Today, I get this in the mail from them:

UNPAID ACCOUNT

WE HAVE SENT YOU FOUR INVOICES AND HAVE NOT HEARD FROM YOU YET.

EITHER:
(1) PAY YOUR BILL OR
(2) CALL US AT #800-866-2886 TO TELL US WHY YOU HAVE NOT PAID.

OR WE WILL PLACE YOUR NAME ON OUR BAD PAY FILE.

P.S. If you have sent payment within the last two weeks, please disregard this notice.
This makes my blood boil when I see companies use threats and intimidation like this, simply because someone choose not to renew their subscription. GRRRRRRR!!!!
Were you still getting the magazine after December 2010??
Old 01-22-2011, 05:03 PM

What irks me is that I get so many "renew now" notices for all my quilting magazines. They start about 2 mos. into the subscription when I still have 10 mos. left. Makes me crazy! In an attempt to keep track of when mags expire, how many issues are owed to me, and which ones were 2 year-subscriptions, I keep a note in my computer so I don't accidentally pay again.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
I believe it was Andy Rooney who said that if you get this kind of mail. any junk mail for that matter and it has a paid return envelop with it, just bundle up all the paper including the original envelope and send it back to the company. They way they have to pay return postage. I have done it and it ended the junk mail.
That is what I have done with over 40 some pieces of credit card app junk mail. Took all they send, put it back in the envelope and sent it back to them with a note, "no thanks" and making sure they could not mark the 'yes' box. They pay the return postage and keep the postal system in a bit of coins.

Eddie, yes on those magazines. I sent a note back which wasn't very nice. Geez, greed!!! Not professional when it comes to business for a magazine company to do this.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:15 PM

I have gotten into the same type of thing with Direct TV. They added Showtime on my bill and I had not ordered it. There were also a couple of movies we had not ordered. It took about an hour on the phone but they were took off my bill. It was such a hassle.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:19 PM

I belonged to two book clubs. They were always polite and always sent my books on time. Just before Christmas I got the nastiest letter telling me I owed money and they were threatening me. I planned to never order again and to cancel my membership. When I got home after Christmas I found an email telling me that both companies which were under the same book club had gone bankrupt. I figured they had outsourced their collection notices but went under anyway.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

That would be the end of my association with Quilt magazine. It sounds like the threats and intimidation you hear people speak about from bill collectors. The only other thing is that sometimes when you subscribe to a magazine for a year they send you notices where you have to indicate that you no longer want to subscribe. One would think they would get the hint if you don't respond to their inquiry. This just sounds like an inappropriate way to try to get someone to continue to subscribe to their magazine. Now they lost a customer and hopefully more now that you have exposed their tactics to the board. Thanks for the info Eddie.