Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics >

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

Old 01-22-2011, 05:34 PM

Eddie and other men of your fine caliber can be included in this---one of my favorites. Women are angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. Keep flying all you out spoken subscribers. Arwin
Old 01-22-2011, 05:36 PM

I had been looking at ads for this magazine. Now I won't bother with any of them. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 PM

I had that problem with Country Life. Went to their website and cancelled my subscription. Received two more bills, sent them a very rudely written message. Seems to have done the trick. Ugh!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 PM

If we all stick together. Buy only on the rack no mail orders they might get the message. My husband is always telling me that the only way to get the point across in business is to effect their wallet. Then They listen.
So I would like us to stand up and be counted.
To bad they don't have a clue that they are killing off future sales! Mail order was once a special thing,almost exciting.
Be well and stand firm...I see that there are a lot more of us then I thought.
christina (chrissy)
Old 01-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
I believe it was Andy Rooney who said that if you get this kind of mail. any junk mail for that matter and it has a paid return envelop with it, just bundle up all the paper including the original envelope and send it back to the company. They way they have to pay return postage. I have done it and it ended the junk mail.
This is a very good idea. Not only will it let these companys know that you do not want their junk mail, but it will help our Postal System get out of the red!!! Save them all up and put them in your mail box during the time that your carrier is being counted for the hours they will be paid for---helps them too.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Mae

Originally Posted by wraez
Something similar yet different has happened to me ... I got a quilt dvd in the mail to watch, purchase or return. I played it but didn't want it.

Honestly I don't know if it is something that I clicked 'try this' on an email or website or if they sent it solicited cuz I'm on some 'list'

Now they keep sending me mail to pay or return, and if I don't want it to put it in the enclosed envelope ...guess what? No envelope.

I know years ago there was a mail policy that if you received something in the mail that you didn't ask for / order, you could keep it. Now with computers, etc, I don't know if I said I'd look at it ... in either case, I want to return it.

I'll scour my sewing room to see if that 'envelope' was in the original mailing but it is like looking for a needle in a ...well a room full of fabric, LOL. I know I know, I could call them and tell them to send me that special envelope.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
I received the same CD. I have the original letter that came with it that stated that the CD is free to keep or return. But they still sent me a notice a couple of months later that I need to pay for the CD service or return the CD.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by oops
When we had snow here in SC we got a phone call. The guy wanted us to renew Reminisce. I told him NO. He continued to tell me about this big deal for the year plus six FREE ones. After telling me all that he said he would sign me up for a year. I then asked What is it going to cost? I already knew no matter how good a deal it was not going to be renewed. He told me it was only $33. My reply to that was "If I had $33 I would be sitting in a doctors office right now and spending it on medicine." My head was clogged from sinus. Then I repeated NO we were not going to renew it. Later that week we got a renewal for one of them for $10. We still are not going to renew it. After reading this whole blog on here, I know we will never get anything in mail again.
Another time we got a call from the police org. the man told me that they had not received our donation yet and he called to remind me. I was furious. I know we never offer to donate to anything over the phone. It was legit but he did it in a very strong tactic way. I called BBB on them as first of all I was not sure if it was legit.
Always someone out there to rip us off.
I realize these people need jobs but enough is enough
I checked this police and sheriff donation pleas for money out with the Secretary of State and I was told that these are solicitors and they get 80% of the money they collect and the police or sheriff departments get 20%. So when they call I throw this info out to them.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mae
Originally Posted by wraez
Something similar yet different has happened to me ... I got a quilt dvd in the mail to watch, purchase or return. I played it but didn't want it.

Honestly I don't know if it is something that I clicked 'try this' on an email or website or if they sent it solicited cuz I'm on some 'list'

Now they keep sending me mail to pay or return, and if I don't want it to put it in the enclosed envelope ...guess what? No envelope.
I know years ago there was a mail policy that if you received something in the mail that you didn't ask for / order, you could keep it. Now with computers, etc, I don't know if I said I'd look at it ... in either case, I want to return it.

I'll scour my sewing room to see if that 'envelope' was in the original mailing but it is like looking for a needle in a ...well a room full of fabric, LOL. I know I know, I could call them and tell them to send me that special envelope.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
I received the same CD. I have the original letter that came with it that stated that the CD is free to keep or return. But they still sent me a notice a couple of months later that I need to pay for the CD service or return the CD.
I got the same dvd and I never signed up for it. You are right you do not have to send it back.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This post will show up in the big search engines, too. I'm sure you're not alone.

Things seem to have gotten universally worse in the last few years. They're many aggressive ones out there.

I know why they think these poor business models are okay. Many of my favorite magazines have gone under in the last seven years. But I gotta tell you, nothing makes me less likely to purchase from in the future than a company who behaves like a con artist.

I had to call an automated line to "cancel" a magazine (meaning tell them not to automatically renew) and the automated responses were intentionally worded to get you to accidentally renew. I'm glad I looked it up online first. The internet complaints saved me the hassle of dealing with the magazine again later.

It's not just magazines who've gone down the toilet. Many of my definitely legitimate dealings in the last two years have felt like a con. Two of my banks are a mess.

Good luck to you, Eddie.
I would write "Return to Sender - DECEASED" on the outside envelope and mail it back to them - For some reason - that seems to work
Old 01-22-2011, 06:20 PM

I say sent a copy and an explanation to the Better Business Bureau