Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learning about fabric. Muslin? >

Learning about fabric. Muslin?

Learning about fabric. Muslin?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM

IMHO, I would think broadcloth would be too stiff and heavy to work with for CW. I would go with a regular quilting cotton or muslin. But nothing too thin. You want it to hold up.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

GOOD muslin is perfect for a Cathederal window!
I have done two and just love it..

HOWEVER, you do not want the Permenant press one...it is stiffer and has a finish on it!

Ecology cloth is really the best!
You could try
http://www.fabric.com
http://www.stitch-n-frame.com

or PM me...
Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 PM

Kona cotton solids are very nice and available at a good price from Hancock's of Paducah.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 PM

Hold on, you guys! Before you start suggesting sites for her you might want to check if they ship internationally. Hancocks of Paducah does, but there's a $20 minimum and its 30% of your order value. I didn't find anything on the other sites mentioned.

I did a little looking around on the Internet and found a fabric store called Tomato near Tokyo in the textile town of Nippori. I don't know how far you are from Tokyo, but if you're close it might be worth a shot to check it out. They have a website, but its all in Japanese.......wasn't entirely sure if you're originally from Japan and can read the language because one of your posts said you can't physically go to a Joann's for another year so it almost sounded like you're just staying there for a while and may not be originally from there. *shrugs* Anyways, here's the website: http://www.nippori-tomato.com/tomato/

I'm kind of curious what you're going to use for the centers of the blocks. I would imagine being in Japan you might be able to find some place with beautiful kimono remnants and second hand kimonos or shops that sell furoshiki cloths.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 AM

I agree that a lighter muslin would be perfect for the CW because of the way the block is made....it's not piecing as many of us think a bout..it's folding.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:00 AM

Would a 'calico' work? I think this could be a pretty background fabric -

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...PRODID=prd1749
Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

muslin comes in many different weights and quality. by the description from the seller i am going to venture a guess that IT WOULD NOT BE GOOD FOR YOUR CATHEDRAL WINDOW PROJECT.
the reason for my determination? the line...light weight... it would be a good muslin to use as a foundation for log=cabin blocks, or any you need a foundation for--but you want at least a medium weight fabric for your cathedral windows. since cathedral window quilts are not quilted...the white you use is the back of the quilt i would use a good quality quilt shop fabric -- for mine i used an assortment of white on white fabrics. but solids are fine, just make it a good quality fabric.