Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 AM

Ami Simms has a wonderful fundraiser for Alzheimers.

http://www.alzquilts.org/

You can join the Quilt-a-Month Club or make one a day. It's fun because they are small, less than 9" X 12" and you can make one in an afternoon! I am practicing my free motion quilting also!

She Loved Flowers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168342[/ATTACH]

Loves Blue Sky _ Ami's Doggus Puppus Pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168345[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168337.jpe
Views:	44
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	168342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168340.jpe
Views:	36
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	168345  
Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I make donation quilts for whatever calls me but it seems many have gone to our millitary either through organized efforts like Jan from VA did for the soldiers statione din Farrah Afghanistan, American Hero or individuals that I am aware of that are serving. I beleive tha tover time you find the place/organization that is right for you. Sofar many quilts have been pretty basic.

All the below quilts went to Army stationed in Afghanistan, Jan's project, except for the rectangular red white and blue. One like that was donated to a relative from a friend who just came back from deployment.

I do not have pictures from many of the quilts I made. Also after the California fires some years ago I made some for who lost all including a group quilt that we added pictures since there was a death due to the fires. That one got to me since I was looking at the pictures as I was putting the the quilt together. Very hard and emotional.

I realy like doing donation quilts but find the cost prohibitive. If anyone has ideas on how to stretch the dollar or find good quality fabrics especially red/white and blue or something that could work for more patriotic quilts please pm me.

one similar to this one was donated
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168340[/ATTACH]

went to
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168344[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168333.jpe
Views:	178
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	168338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168335.jpe
Views:	41
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	168340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168336.jpe
Views:	217
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	168341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168338.jpe
Views:	192
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	168343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168339.jpe
Views:	46
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	168344  

Old 01-26-2011, 07:00 AM

My buddy and I make lap quilts for a local extended care facility.NO rules of any kind. I often use this as an opportunity to experiment with new patterns and techniques. The going favorite is the posy cats that Paint Me Judy designed.They always raise a smile or two.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:09 AM

I have done 6 Quilts-for-kids. Go online and look at their website. I found that they had a local chapter and I have met some wonderful people through this charity. One of our local quilt shops has one Sunday a month as a quilts-for-kids day.

These quilts are given to children who are in the hospital. They are comfort quilts. My daughter was given one when she was in the hospital so I thought it would be a great place for me to
give back.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:12 AM

It really doesn't matter what age group you pick. Just look around for a need and fill it. There is no such thing as a perfect quilt. Just dooo it! PS: Are you ADHD? I have that problem and I can't seem to make up my mind what I'm going to or need to do next! It's so frustrating. I think it wastes time that I could be quilting, but I can't seem to settle down to one thing.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 AM

Hi. Just wanted to tell you our group has been going 11 years. We do quilts for families who had home fires. Any color or any design. We are making quilts for a Headstart unit now. We have made them for nurseing homes, cancer patients, Patients at a Dialisis center, Also bibs with decorations for a nursing home, for soldiers, for a home for children-318 here over a 3 year period. There are alys people in need. They are not picky and the glow from their faces is the best reward. I admit I have seen one of my quilt covering a boys bike so it would not get rained on( a family member) but please do not let this bad experience you had stop you. There is so much joy in helping our fellow man. God is good .Let us be also. Marvel
Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 AM

I make quilts for the average bed,I give to families that have lost to a fire,flood etc. I will donate to needy. I dont give to the charity that makes demands on how a quilt can be made or that the fabric has to be washed or a certain pattern etc. Mine are given from the heart to another heart. lol
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Our little quilt group makes quilts for Linus Project. We started in 2008 and have donated over 400 quilts. One of our joys is to be able to help hand out quilts at the local hospitals. I just joined a quilt guild that makes "cuddle quilts" for the local women shelters, fire and police depts. So will add them to my projects. This is a great way to use up scraps and design new blocks.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Thanks so much for starting this thread. Have inspiread me to consider making a quilt to donate too.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 AM

I belong to a church quilting group and we make baby quilts as well as lap size quilts for hospice and nursing homes, etc.
I sew the tops together at home, after the squares are put into a pattern of some sort. We each work on things at home and then all work together as a group to put the quilts together.
Our church donates the money for purchasing fabric and batting. It's such a worthwhile project and allows all of us to contribute even if finances would prohibit individuals to purchase the fabrics & batting.