Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 AM

I've made two Downy quilts so far.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I want to rid myself of the bad vibes from making quilts for people who've turned out to be jerks so I want to quilt for charity. Its actually something I've wanted to do, but never got around to and I think now is the perfect time to do a couple of them.

I have a lot of different ideas on what to make, but as soon as I think of an idea I come up with another. So I'm wondering what kinds of quilts others on here have done for charity to maybe get some ideas and hopefully make my brain slow down a little.
One of my favorite patterns to use is called an "H" quilt and it is so easy yet very striking when finished. The two sides of the H are cut 3-1/2" x 9-1/2" and the squares in the middle (two background and one "bar" of the H) are cut at 3-1/2". Of course, you can adjust the size to suit yourself. It makes a pretty scrappy quilt or is just as pretty when you use just two colors.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 AM

I've made quilts for raffles, silent auctions, soldiers through a group in Maryland, and mostly for Project Linus. Most organizations aren't fussy, although Linus doesn't want black on the baby quilts which I totally understand. I've also taken Linus quilts to one of our hospitals. The nurses are excited the minute they see you come through the door and ask hopefully if they'll be going to their particular unit. KNowing that the hard work on the quilts is appreciated at our hospitals keeps me making them!
I don't think anyone was giving the impression that a quilt wouldn't be suitable, but some of the groups do have guidelines.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM

I've saved this to favorites to refer back to. There are so many caring and compassionate quilters here making a difference! :-D As well as so many people and organizations who need support.

Marvel your bike story reminded me about a friend of ours (my husband's old boss that has remained a friend for 14 years.) He told me he had a quilt that his Grandmother made covering a lawnmower in the car port! Aaaaaahhh! I nicely and firmly explained that he needed to go take the quilt off the lawnmower right away and treat her right. I told hiim that his Grandmother put a lot of time and love into this quilt. This helped to create a new found respect and admiration for quilts on his part. :-P I know that not everyone would have listened and changed their thinking on this but am glad he did.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 AM

I took a Bonnie Hunter class with a friend and we decided that we would each make a quilt to be sent to Walter Reed Hospital for military personnel.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

i've donated to every cause, but now i'm going locally at a shelter just down the block ( around here that means 10 miles away). i make just about anything. sometimes i try out new ideas on a charity quilt. i also make I spy for the hospital taht my dsil is head pediatric dr. at in NJ. she also distributes to the needy at christmas for me.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM

One of my guilds has a FABULOUS sub-group called Quilting Angels. We make over 700 quilts a year for charity and non-profit fundraisers. Any pattern, any color, any size. They are a great way to hone skills, try new patterns, and spend time each week with wonderful ladies and men!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM

I couldn't afford the stash that so many quilters on this board have, so sewing quilts for my church group gives me the satisfaction of doing something for others, as well as getting my "quilting fix". We don't sew fancy, just squares, but a lot of thought is put into the fabric and pattern and they are beautiful in the end. Best of all, we get many "thank you's" from recipients and know we are giving comfort to so many people.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by mrspete
I stay away from the organizations because they regulate me from the spirit that gives me release. I put my heart and soul in things and they aren't big and fancy, but they are kind hopefully helpful. I do lap quilts for elders and veterans at the VA Hosp. I have four that I am doing to turn in at Church because we choose a family in distress and help them find jobs and a home again. Usually there are about four in a family. Just a bit off the beaten path, but something I want to do. I've helped Jan in Va with a few items and I've done two quilts to raffle off, one for cancer and one for a project. Lawww, just look around you. The world needs a hug! I love hugs and quilts are wonderful hugs, dontcha think?

Blessings, Ruth
I quite agree Ruth. I recently had a house guest who was being abused in her own home. I made her a quilt for Christmas because I thought she could take that with her and wrap up in it when things are hard. It was also something that fit in my budget as a last minute gift. I had most of the materials here at my house so I only had to buy a small amount of fabric for the setting squares.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 AM

I've done five Downy quilts and three Alzheimer's quilts. Hope to do more of both.