Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 AM

I've done Quilts of Valor and baby quilts for our local Pregnancy Center.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 AM

My guild makes cuddle quilts for local children's charities, hospitals, etc. Also make premie quilts. And quilts of valor for our soldiers.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I kind of think Jade gave you a compliment Hon. I think you do some quilts that are Diffrent, too, but thats what I like about you, you make some really unique ones. Theres a few others here too, that I always LOVE seeing their stuff, because it IS so diffrent from my stuff.
Not all of us can make the "cool" teen ones, and cute baby stuff too!
Hugs....
I did happen to say I was moody (last couple of days have been rough on top of being hormonal) so I probably just wasn't seeing it as a compliment. I'm glad you put it in a way that made it sound like one. And thanks for the compliment you gave me. :) Sometimes I feel like the oddball here because most of my stuff is either inspired by games and metal (the only other game themed quilt I've seen on here was that awesome Metroid quilt) or has a lot of black (just about every quilt I come up with contains black).

Originally Posted by RitaVil
I make heavy metal or video game themed quilts or quilts with a lot of black in them.
I think there is a need for this type of charity quilt. Not just young children are in hospitals, teenagers are there too. Shelters are a good option, too. I don't see many charity organizations geared toward teenagers. Maybe you can call your local hospital auxiliary and ask if they have this need? I think a teen would love a heavy metal/video game themed quilt...much more than a teddy bear or choochoo train quilt that was made with a young child in mind.

One of the ideas I had for a charity quilt was a pink and chocolate rag quilt with pink rag edge applique hearts on the chocolate patches.
That sounds beautiful, but check to make sure your charity/hospital accepts rag quilts. Many do not.
*gasp!* You just gave me an idea! I could alter the pink and chocolate quilt (hot pinks/reds/purples and black?) and go for a punk theme! And instead of an appliqued heart it could be a skull! Think a teen would like that?

Originally Posted by MS quilter
PS: Are you ADHD? I have that problem and I can't seem to make up my mind what I'm going to or need to do next! It's so frustrating. I think it wastes time that I could be quilting, but I can't seem to settle down to one thing.
Nope. Just an artist with too many ideas going through the mind.

Originally Posted by Stogsdill
Thanks so much for starting this thread. Have inspiread me to consider making a quilt to donate too.
You're welcomes

Originally Posted by quilter1943
Most organizations aren't fussy, although Linus doesn't want black on the baby quilts which I totally understand.
That's unfortunate. Its my understanding black (and white) are colors babies are attracted to.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 AM

I make quilts for "Quilts of Valor". They go to wounded veterans. Any pattern and color is fine. They like them to be 55" x 65". No quilt police allowed!
Local chapters are all over. They also accept orphan blocks of any size. I also make little ones for "Stitches from the heart" that go to ICU babies, impoverished newborns and unfortunately some go to Angel babies. They accept any size from 24" x 24" on up. Happy quilting!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM

A friend of mine made a quilt for a child with autism, she asked if there were any other childredn in the family and yes there was one boy older. She made him a quilt also and he said" That is the first time anybody every thought of me". He was so happy.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Have made 100's of charity quilts since retirement - recent patterns are the D9P, rail fence, 1-2-3 block, twisted pinwheel, and so many others I'd have to check my photo albums to recall the patterns. We take a photo of every quilt I make, it's fun to browse these and try to remember which charity they were given too.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM

I have only made 2 quilts so far. I am gearing up to make twin size quilts for our military to send to Soldiers' Angels. SA constantly need quilts to send to our wounded that are airlifted from Ramstein Germany to the USA. It is a long cold trip as they have to keep the temp down low. A warm, soft quilt sounds so good.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM

I use the square in a square pattern for Project Linus. It is the easiest for me to do. I try to donate at least 12 a year.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Mostly Cuddle Quilts for Children's Hospital, and a few Hand Print quilts for children with leukemia *spelling
Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 AM

I set a goal each year, in square inches, for the charity quilts I do. I have tried all sorts of patterns. Like others have said, a smaller quilt is a good place to experiment. I do like to make several full-size quilts too, for the adults out there who need a tangible piece of love to wrap around themselves. I often give locally, to Project Linus, as well as further away, with Sewn 'n love (http://www.sewn-n-love.org/wordpress...php?page_id=21)

As I sew each quilt, I try to imbue it with the love I'm feeling so that when the person is wrapped, they are doubly warmed!

Laurie