Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I honestly think the quilts you make will work for teens/young adults those seem to be areas where the quilts are the fewest.
I'm assuming you're refering to the fact I make heavy metal or video game themed quilts or quilts with a lot of black in them. Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way (I have been "moody" the last couple days, I'll admit), but its like you're saying I'm completely incapable of creating a charity quilt that would be orientated to children.

One of the ideas I had for a charity quilt was a pink and chocolate rag quilt with pink rag edge applique hearts on the chocolate patches. Seriously, what average little girl wouldn't want that?
I would LOVE to see some of your quilts. You actually fill a niche that most of us miss. My quilt group has made American Hero quilts and quilts for kids at Children's Hospital. We have raffled quilts for the local food bank and for cancer. Don't change for anyone! God wants you to use your talent and YOUR personality to make a difference in your world.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 PM
A

This last year; 21 for a rest home in town of various colors and patterns. Three for injured soldiers - in red/white and blue. Giving is the most wonderful thing to do - to think about someone getting a smile. To me that is the greatest gift of all.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:31 PM
RST

Project Linus has a real need for more "boy-oriented" and teen / young adult sized quilts. Everyone tends to make baby girl quilts. Personally, I think that a colorful, interesting design can be loved by any age or gender, and that's my preference to make anyhow.

RST
Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM

I make scrappy patchwork quilts, in October I gave 5 baby quilts to Catholic Serivess and 10 queen size patchwork to my friend that is a Nun and works with the poor, she had a good time giving them away. I have 5 tops ready to put together made up of 8 1/2 inch blocks. Good way to use up scraps and fabrc you don't like.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:52 PM

I inherited two large boxes full of already cut squares. They ran from 5" squares to 9" squares. I seperated them into proper piles and then took one color and ran it from corner to corner of what would be a lap quilt. Then filled in on either side of the center strip with different colored strips. Was easy and really turned out nice. Also, did one where I turned the squares on edge, so to speak, butted up one edge next to the first edge, and so on. Was kind of tricky but it worked. Then I just ran straight lines across the quilts. Made 17 for nursing homes in the area.
Rita
Old 01-26-2011, 01:09 PM
dls

We make simple 60"X80" quilts and donate them to needy families here in the Rio Grande Valley. The patterns are simple, often 10 1/2 " squares with a 6" border. Almost all fabric for tops is donated. The filler is usually an old mattress pad or blanket and the backing is often a colorful sheet. Edges are serged. We manage to make about a dozen every Wednesday.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I honestly think the quilts you make will work for teens/young adults those seem to be areas where the quilts are the fewest.
I'm assuming you're refering to the fact I make heavy metal or video game themed quilts or quilts with a lot of black in them. Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way (I have been "moody" the last couple days, I'll admit), but its like you're saying I'm completely incapable of creating a charity quilt that would be orientated to children.

One of the ideas I had for a charity quilt was a pink and chocolate rag quilt with pink rag edge applique hearts on the chocolate patches. Seriously, what average little girl wouldn't want that?
Of course you can and will make appropriate quilts and enjoy doing it. I make quilts for wounded Vets, indigent babies in our local Hospital and quilts for a group home. You choose who to give to and what to give...........and enjoy.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM

I've made then for all sorts of things, none returned yet :) Make what you like then ask if an orginization would want it or not, chances are they can make good use of your talents and effort !! Don't see any orginization turning away a Quilt that could be given to a teen, so many need a hug, to get over some rough spot in there world.

You are one of ours.... stay true to yourself :) If we were all the same how boring would that be, the different levels and styles is part of what makes this a cool place to hang out:)
Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I never set out to make a charity quilt. I find a pattern and like it. When it is completed I will find a home for it. This way I have the best of everything. I am learning a new method and making somebody happy. Sampler quilts go down very well, also log cabin, 9 patch and any kind of scrappy.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM

I've done Downy Quilts for Kids and one for the soldiers through Jan's project here on the board.