Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do I do A Pantograph? >

How Do I do A Pantograph?

How Do I do A Pantograph?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 PM

I've heard of using clear contact paper. I've not done it yet but in theory you can trace the design right through, with the backing still on. Then peel it off and stick the contact paper on your quilt and stitch right through it. Supposedly, it all peels off when you're done.

I was wondering if freezer paper would work for this too.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. Mel
Originally Posted by sandpat
Just a little tip...if you do use the Glad Press & Seal...be very careful with the newer machines...it will void your warranty. I use it with my old singer and have had pretty good luck with it depending on the pattern.
Yikes! I just bought a Husqvarna Platinum. Why does it affect the warranty sandpat?
Because it will gum up your needle. When I was using it for a big quilt before I owned my Bernina, the dealer folks told me not to use it on a Bernina if I bought one for that reason. It did gum up my Singer over a period of time (my quilt was a monster) but I could clean it up...it was very slow going though.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beetle
I've heard of using clear contact paper. I've not done it yet but in theory you can trace the design right through, with the backing still on. Then peel it off and stick the contact paper on your quilt and stitch right through it. Supposedly, it all peels off when you're done.

I was wondering if freezer paper would work for this too.
Haven't used the contact paper, but the freezer paper wouldn't hold on for the length of time you will need to manuver and quilt the quilt.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:09 AM

Ok, I don't think I will risk the press and seal on my machine. I've got my design all drawn out on paper that is cut out to size of the area I am going to do. Somehow I have to figure out how to transfer it.

Thanks again ladies.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:31 AM

I have used the press and seal, but did hear after the concern was if the needle pushed teeny little plastic pieces down into the workings of the machine it could be a problem.
If you have a good supply of freezer paper, you can draw out your pattern & cut around where you would like to stitch, then iron this shape onto your fabric & stitch along the edge of the freezer paper, you can reposition the freezer paper a few times before all the wax is melted off, and then I guess you might be able to use that basting spray to hold the shape down once the wax is gone, while you stitch around it.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:12 AM

I bought a case of paper that the doctors use on the examining tabe. You can get 12- 200 yard rolls for under $20 that will last my lifetime. I draw my pattern on the top sheet of paper then fold the paper like a fan to give me several repeats. I put the folded stack under my sewing machine needle (I use a leather needle) and pierce the paper with my machine (just stitch without thread) When I unforld the paper I have a long sheet of my pattern - repeated. I use painters tape (that doesn't leave residue on the fabric.) Then I chalk the pattern on the quilt. I keep the patterns and use them over and over. The paper is tissue thin but holds up to repeated uses. If you had a group of quilters the cost of the paper could be split up. I find my patters on the web, coloring books, and quilting books. I have a mid arm and sometimes I just lay the pattern on the table and follow it with my laser. It is an inexpensive way to get a pantograph.

This paper comes in 22-24" widths. I took a few rolls to the local printer and he cut it for me into 3", 4" 6" and 8" widths. (they have laser cutters) I guess if you had a band saw you could tape the roll and cut the lengths yourself. Like I said, it is just a cheaper way of getting pantograph paper.
Check out this site for free pantograph designs...
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/struss/bom/ebom.htm

I hope this helps you.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:10 AM

I draw my pattern on gift wrapping tissue. I pin it into place on my quilt and quilt away. When finished quilting, it tears away nicely and what doesn't tear away washes off in the washing machine.
I've also seen freezer paper used. It is ironed onto the quilt and peeled off when done. I've never used this method.
Hope these ideas help!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:28 AM

Thanks guys. It seems that wax paper is pretty popular. One lady told me it can leave a little waxy residue on your fabric. But I think I will try a little sample piece. I have lots of tissue paper so I think I will try that too. I don't think I can get the doctors paper kpalombo; but thanks for the info. (I would love to see a pic of your quilts.)

I am not sure I will be brave enough to show the results, as it is my first quilt job other than a stitch in ditch. (I am a bit of a perfectionist.) Thank heavens it is going to my mother, cz they always tell you it's wonderful!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 AM

Honestly, I was just sitting on the examining table waiting for the doctor when I wrote myself a note to get some more Golden Threads paper. I looked down and the idea hit me. I asked my doctor for an "almost finished" roll to try it, you might want to do the same. The doctor’s paper can be bought on eBay, a single roll or a case at a time. I had no idea how long they were. I most likely would have bought a single roll. I was paying over $10.00 for a roll of paper from Golden Threads pantograph paper and it got to be very expensive if I made an mistake. Since that day, I have discovered varying qualities to these papers (I have Lupus so I see several doctors) I would purchase the cheapest you can find. My local medical supply store has some that were in an opened box that he sold to my friends for $1.00 a roll. (I guess for medical reasons you can't sell them if they are not sterile, personally, my cat sleeps on mine so who cares about sterile?) lol Maybe you could borrow a few yards from your doctor to try it. FYI, I used an old broken sewing machine with lousy timing to punch the holes in the paper, I don’t think I would use my New Brother or my Baby Lock for this, but that is just me. My sister went to the Salvation Army and bought a machine for $10.00 to punch her paper. She also uses a leather needle. If you have a spare $10.00 you might want to go that way also.

I don't have a digital camera to take pictures of my quilts, and since I already got my Christmas gift this year (Janome 1600 and a Grace Pinnacle Frame) I don't think I will get one this year either. However, if I get to an opportunity to borrow one, I will post the pictures of the ones that weren’t sold or given away. Right now, I am practicing whole cloth flannel quilts to give away until I get better with the Janome and the frame. Someone said it will take me a year to learn to quilt on the mid-frame properly, anyone have any input on this?