Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shops on my 40th - WHAT to do?? >

Quilt shops on my 40th - WHAT to do??

Quilt shops on my 40th - WHAT to do??

Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM

Happy Birthday. We'd all just love to go fabric shopping with you.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:01 PM

have a happy birthday ane enjoy you day
Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I wasn't sure if this is 'chit chat' but I saw that was for non-quilting topics, so I guessed it should go here under "main"
Lucky you. It looks like you have a very loving and caring husband. Count your blessings, they only come one by one.
The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, the way to your heart besides your husband is material for quilting
What more could you ask for?.

OK, here it is the evening before I join the 40-club. Hubby just told me he is planning on taking me to Lancaster for the day tomorrow (Shady Maple all-u-can-eat smorgasbord for breakfast first), then to 'quilt shops' to go shopping. My question is, if you were me, what would you plan on getting??? Hubby NEVER EVER took me to Lancaster for shopping before. I literally do not have any quilting friends, except for here. I told him I was planning on coffee @ 9, mimosas at 10, then quilting in my PJs all day.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Trina
(who's STILL hoping for tons of snow on her birthday!)
Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM

OH What fun for you, happy Birthday.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 PM

Happy belated birthday, since I didn't see this post yesterday. I hope you had a wonderful day!!! I live in NEPA as well and I love going to Shady Maples :) I've never been there for breakfast, always dinner... but, I'm always in pain when I leave because it all just tastes soooo good! You should post pics of your shopping goodies :)
Old 01-26-2011, 02:54 PM

How about a pattern and the material to make the quilt. ?Then you willhave your own memory of your beautiful day with your husband.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM

Thank you SEW much everybody!
Well, I've returned from my great adventure. It has been filled with ups and downs.

The day started with hubby & kiddos giving me some gifts in the morning. It was in the 'downs' category - workout clothes & a pair of sneakers that didn't fit! And I do NOT work out. Hum, is he trying to tell me something?? NOT good.

OK, moving past that, I ate a handful of chocolate for breakfast. I figured, why not? The snow decided to come early, so we left a bit later and I ended up white-knuckled all the way down to Lancaster. We did stop for breakfast at McDonald's on the way. One up, one down moment. Oh, also found out the kids had a 2 hour early release due to snow, but thankfully hubby already asked SIL to cover that.

FINALLY, after 2 1/2 hours on the road (after getting lost because hubby forgot the Garmin & made a wrong turn) - a trip that normally takes about an hour, we DID finally arrive in the village of Intercourse (couldn't find Burkholder's in Denver, as I originally planned). We stopped in at the Country Store (I LOVE LOVE LOVE that place!), and I got a very cool Bear Paw quilt kit, 12 fat quarters for my Quick Trip quilt), and some needles. This was an "up" time.

We then left to go to Shady Maple for lunch, which we made in the nick of time because they were closing due to snow. Had a very nice lunch. Up time.

Because I got a 20% off coupon for Good's, we stopped there after lunch. I am SO happy we did, as I got a few yards of fabric, some thread, some quilting stencils, and (which I was very excited about), the 108"-wide backing I needed for DD's quilt so I now don't need to piece it!! Yee-haw. Good thing.

So, we headed home, picked up our kiddos, and came home to find our idiot dog tore our house apart. She raided our pantry and spewed food ALL over the house, trying to 'bury' the stuff in our couch and my sewing room cushions. She ended up ruining my wall in my sewing room. VERY bad time. This dog has separation anxiety, and has been put on Prozac and Valium to no avail. I do not know what to do with her any more.

I figured I'd download the pictures in my webshots instead of eating up all the memory here, so if you're interested in seeing pictures of what I got you can click here: http://community.webshots.com/album/579633497dfGhYU There's even a picture of my poor wall.

So now I'm sitting here with a glass full of mimosa, watching the snow fall. Planning on stepping out again for dinner since I said I will not cook for supper. Maybe I'll try my new quilting needles out later.

So, I figured I'd share my 40th birthday adventures. Thank you so much for all the well wishes!

Trina :)
Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 PM

I've been to Lancaster numerous times. Sometimes just for a mini vacation but mostly for the Quilt Shows. There is a big show coming up the week end of March 17, 18, 19, 20 in Lancaster. It's like dieing and going to heaven. There is also another one the weekend of March 4, 5, 6 in Somerset, New Jersey. Just look up Mancuso Quilt Shows for more info. These shows are the best places to go for inspiration.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM

OK, here it is the evening before I join the 40-club. Hubby just told me he is planning on taking me to Lancaster for the day tomorrow (Shady Maple all-u-can-eat smorgasbord for breakfast first), then to 'quilt shops' to go shopping. My question is, if you were me, what would you plan on getting??? Hubby NEVER EVER took me to Lancaster for shopping before. I literally do not have any quilting friends, except for here. I told him I was planning on coffee @ 9, mimosas at 10, then quilting in my PJs all day.

I think he's trying to tell you to buy any and everything you want! Happy Birthday!! ;)
Old 01-26-2011, 04:25 PM

The Country Store is wonderful and there is a Zooks near there that is great (near Kitchen Kettle) but also check out Sauder's (Z and S Fabrics) on Muddy Creek Road--they have the cheapest fabric. It is only 18 minutes from Shady Maple. The people who work there are very nice! Avoid the Zooks in Stasburg--haven't had a positive experience there in the last ten years. Your DH might like the trains when you go back another time.
Can't wait to hear about your trip and see the pictures of your treasures!
Carole
Marlton, NJ