Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 PM

I have made many baby quilts for premies. I had two premies. My sister had 1 and it did not make it. that was when i donated alle the quilts I had made for him. What I do each year tho isn't charity but it might help you. On new years i start a quilt and by Christmas eve it is finished. during the year I pay attention to those people I meet. IE> grocery stores, restaraunts, etc. I watch for people who have the christmas spirit in their hearts all year long. Those who go out of there way to be kind to others for no reason but to be kind. I try very hard to get their names whole names, and before christmas I figure out a way to deliver the gift to that person in private. 2 years ago I was unable to secretly give it the person saw me. I had no idea his wife had died and he and his 2 teenage sons were struggling. I had just noticed how kind this man was to everyone!! I delivered him a patchwork quilt that i had barely finished minutes before i wrapped it christmas eve. The next time I was in the store he stopped me thanked me and told me how that act of kindness had brought him and his boys back together that night. his tear filled eyes and his heart warming story convinced my husband who teared up that those secret santa quilts were important. My Heart gets more out of giving the gifts each year than it couldmean to them. In the card I always tell the person why I chose them. I hope that might give you inspiration too!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 PM

you know i have 3 grandsons that would love to have quilts with a heavy metal theam..i also like them..actually my grand daughter would also like one with music theam..i think it is great you think out of the box....i enjoy all kinds of quilts and there are no quilt police..so do what you love and i know your quilts will be loved...you are very creative...wish i was....make those quilts gal and keep sewing...
Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
I made 2 raffle quilts for the Alzheimer's Association. The 2nd one was a queen size paper pieced pineapple. It only raised $1,276. Instead of a raffle I wish it would have been in a high end fundraiser (silent auction) with a minimum bid instead of a raffle. Live and learn.

Disappointing when you consider the work you put into the quilt. But the group now have $1,276 they didn't have before.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Love the Project Linus group I meet with. I work at a Public Library and set up a "Quilting in the Library" day once a month. It is for anyone to work on any quilt--their own or a charity. Most are for charity because it gives so many quilters pleasure. Here are a few pictures of their quilts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168720.jpe
Views:	189
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	168725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168721.jpe
Views:	192
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	168726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168722.jpe
Views:	190
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	168727  
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM

I have make several, mostly blocks, some rail fence and lately, some strip quilts. I use my leftover materials and cut 21/2" strips, then join different colors til it measures
60 inches long and then after I have lots,lots of strips, I join them all and make a quilt top. I also cut different size blocks from my leftover stash and make quilts for our charity quilts at our Quilt Guild, who donates to police, womens shelter, and cancer victims.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 PM

Project Linus has lots of free patterns for baby and kid quilts!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 PM

I made a kaliedescope quilt for a scholarship fundraiser. raffled tickets at$10 a pop. Made $3,200 +
Old 01-26-2011, 07:00 PM
QM
Power Poster

I love seeing such wonderful, loving work. Thanks for sharing.

We don't need to define our 'carity' by IRS standards. Quilts that go to strangersand acquaintences with love are also pure, charitable gifts. When we found that someone we knew slightly had been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, my DH immediately asked me for a quilt he could deliver to her. What I had available wasn't even one of my better quilts. We had not heard and assumed she had died long since (5 years). Last summer, DH was told that she was still living and was currently cancer free. Her husband and doctor attributed her health to the healing power of love, including the quilt she clutches each day. quilts heal souls and bodies.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM

I make a few quilts for charity and wish I had time to do more. What I have learned though is that if the quilt is for kids, they don't really care what pattern you use, they just like the fabrics, the brighter the better. They also love theme fabrics, like cartoons, horses, fishing, etc. They don't care for flowers or the darker more drab fabrics.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I want to rid myself of the bad vibes from making quilts for people who've turned out to be jerks so I want to quilt for charity. Its actually something I've wanted to do, but never got around to and I think now is the perfect time to do a couple of them.

I have a lot of different ideas on what to make, but as soon as I think of an idea I come up with another. So I'm wondering what kinds of quilts others on here have done for charity to maybe get some ideas and hopefully make my brain slow down a little.

There are so many different groups to give to nationally or you can always check with your church's, premmie nurseries even some fire & police depts. accept childrens quits for kids in tragic situations.