Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I guess I'm older than I thought >

I guess I'm older than I thought

I guess I'm older than I thought

Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Eight herniated discs here, two BIG surgeries, can no longer be "fixed" & am now disabled. DO NOT DO stretching of any kind on a "new" injury. Use ice to reduce swelling for 3 days. 20 min on -20 min off, as often as you want. Try Ibprofen or Aleve. You can go up to 3-4 ibprofen, every 4-6 hrs. This is a prescription dose(600 to 800 mg total). With Aleve, you can try 2 Aleve every 12 hrs max.. After 3 days you can try heat. Moist heat is better. It will loosen muscles somewhat. Think relax in a tub of comfortably hot water & read a quilt mag. You can now try alternating the hot & cold treatments. This might speed up the reduction of swelling. Do no bending, twisting, lifting etc. It could be more then a pulled muscle. If it's not better in a few weeks or gets progressively worse or instantly worse, see the doc!!. I could tell you more put this will get you started. Take care, be careful!! & I hope it's just a muscle & goes away quickly! (Started for me at 17 & am now 59 so I've spent most of my life dealing with this).
Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Use Aleve liquid gels.....they work fast and you don't need to take them every 4-6 hours, only every 12 hours.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM

Last March I walked across the living room floor and the pain was unbelievable. I could barely move. My husband was having knee replaced so did nothing. Went on this way for 6 weeks. Finally went to see doctor and he referred me to pain clinic where I had two pain shots, 1 month apart. He indicated that I have spinal stinosis of the lower back which is something he says almost everyone over 60 has to some degree. I have been free of pain since then with only a twinge now and then. I can't walk or stand for any length of time but I can function quite well as is. If it doesn't get any worse I will be able to enjoy my quilting time for many years to come. By the way, I am 70 years young.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM

Oh, yes!! A couple times mine has gone out just trying to reach a little too far. I've been going to chiropractors for 25 years.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 PM

Was cooking breakfast for my sweetie one Sunday about a month ago and turned from my stove to my counter and pinched my siotic (sp?) nerve in my hip man it hurt ...... still does if i walk alot .... and darlin we are 60 years young you and I ............lol ........turned 60 Dec. 28th and Im lovin it ........
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Put my back out last spring picking up a sandal for church. Went to church, came home, took stupid pills (pain ones) and saw dr next day. He gave me more stupid pills plus mucles relaxer but at least the pain was bearable. Damaged my back severely 15 yrs ago and it flares every now and then. I take pain pill and strong muscle relaxer for several days and am good to go. However, while on stupid pills make no serious decisions and buy nothing on-line. :)
Old 01-26-2011, 09:02 PM

have lower back problems. phys therapist said it was due to tight hamstrings so if I keep those stretched out I hardly have pain at all. check the web for good hamstring stretching and see if that does not help.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 PM

Edie.. I like your name for these pesky, terrible pains.. hexenschuses.. I just called them 'grabbers' but they do feel just like you've been shot by a witch!! I'm going to remember that...

I've had my share too.. I've learned to never never lean over and pull.. like you would a stout weed.. May not hurt right then, but watch out, that old witch is hiding around the corner and will shoot you in the back in the next day or two!!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 PM

It's not age deary, I got up from a chair when I was 35 and threw out my back.

Chin up. Hope you are feeling frisky soon.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 PM

I feel your pain. I was in a bus wreck @17 and twisted my back badly and have had trouble ever since. I never know what will set it off (except I did know I should not have lifted the 40# bag of bird seed the other day). I am 66 and have epidurals every 6 months for the pain.