Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I guess I'm older than I thought >

I guess I'm older than I thought

I guess I'm older than I thought

Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 AM

My lower back went into a spasm last night as I bent down to push my slippers off. That's all I did. I wasn't trying to lift anything. It's so tender and stiff this morning that I can hardly get up and down from chairs.
This happened once before around Thanksgiving, and I hadn't picked anything up at that time either.
I've never had back trouble in all my 60 years.
I know being 60 isn't a spring chicken anymore but jeez louise...just bending over is too much?
Now today I can't stand too long to finish cutting out fabric etc.
So I'm kind of a vegetable today.
Has anyone else's lower back done this to them by just bending over?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Me, me, me. I was much younger then and just went to get up from a chair at work. Got half up and thought someone had knifed me (sigh). ICE is your friend. I also believe in chiropractors as that is the only doctor who could get me out of trouble. Ice, ice, ice will take the pain away. Specific exercises will help.
BTW, it has nothing to do with age!

I do feel your pain!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Yes, and I feel your pain! Hope it clears quickly.

Usually, back problems are not from one incident but from a series of stresses that finally "POP", so to speak. You might try some aspirin or Ibuprofin and some stretching exercises. The exercises are good to do if you've been sitting in one spot for a while, as when you're sewing.

>>
Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

When I about 30 I threw my hip out while stepping out of the bath tub. I never had a problem before then. Oh and when I was 25 I popped to joints out of place in my lower back while trying to left something. Now if I'm not careful them suckers get out of whack easily. Hope yours gets to feeling better.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Yes. It's often due to weak back muscles. My doctor finally sent me to a pain clinic with specialized exercise equipment. Went twice a week for about 12 weeks, and they worked to strengthen the muscles associated with support of the back. Haven't had a problem since, and that was over 5 years ago!

At the back clinic, they told me never to apply heat if I was in pain but rather to apply a cold pack. The cold pack I have is velcroed and wraps all around my waist. They had me wear the cold pack so I could exercise longer at the clinic and at home.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I did not even need to bend over! I am 50. This past April I was standing at my kitchen sink and it just started hurting. By the next day I was incapable of anything but laying on my side on the couch! It was awful and I was in chronic pain until October. Sitting and driving were the killers for me. Standing was not so bad once I was able to get in a upright position.

Then I started getting shooting pains going down my arm, like the kind you get when you hit your funny bone really hard. That scared the bejeepers out of me and sent me running to the Dr. Finally ended up having to get two MRI's to determine what the problem was.

Turns out I had 3 bulging disks. 2 in the lower back and 1 in the neck. These in turn were putting pressure on nerves and causing my muscles to spasm in the affected areas. PT and electical impulse treatment with tens unit finally got me right but it was 7 months of hell! I still have flare ups every now and again. I go to a Chiropractor regularly and at least now I know when it goes into spasms I have to "confuse" those spasming muscles with the electro pulse Tens unit. My Chiro gave me one to keep home for emergencys.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

At age 40 I bent over to greet at little 3 year old neighbor girl at the front door, and literally hit the floor screaming in agony. Poor child was probably scarred for life!

Immediate chiropractic care, rest, and ice with specific exercises were my saviors.

Tylenol has anti-inflamatories which also help.

Praying for your quick recovery!

Jan in VA
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

yep, i bent down to shut off the water in the shower and thought i'd never get out! turns out it was muscle spasms which i do have trouble with. still do now. but in different areas than before. this time i didn't go for therapy. most therapy is just a waste of my time and money.
good luck to you!!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 AM

I'm 61 next month....and I find it as irritating as He$$ that the same things happen to me!!!!!!!! Oh, to have the body of a 20 yr old and the wisdom and money of a 60 yr old!!!!!

BTW -- I have a TENS unit -- bought it online for $150.00 or so.....when I have those problems and know it's just old age muscles, I put the TENS unit on --- believe me, it's saved a LOT in the last few months on doctor bills!!!! Actually worked better than the physical therapy I was going thru three times a week for 3 months!!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
At age 40 I bent over to greet at little 3 year old neighbor girl at the front door, and literally hit the floor screaming in agony. Poor child was probably scarred for life!

Immediate chiropractic care, rest, and ice with specific exercises were my saviors.

Tylenol has anti-inflamatories which also help.

Praying for your quick recovery!

Jan in VA
actually Tylenol is the only OTC pain med that is NOT anti-inflammatory - for that you need aspirin or an NSAID like Motrin.